On the fence, please help.

spikeymikey

Reaction score
So my contract with AT&T is up and I REALLY like the droid x but I read an article online that said verizons data plan will end up costing you like $350 more over the two years, so that's one issue...

The other thing is can someone explain to my droid is superior to iPhone os? I'm not one of these people that thinks the sun shines out Steve jobbs ass, nor do I think he is evil. I've played around with my friends moto droid and it didn't seem to really understand the interface, cuz I'm so used to the iPhone os. My only real gripe with the iPhone is the battery and ATT.

I'd really like your guys advice, why does apple suck and droid kick ass?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So my contract with AT&T is up and I REALLY like the droid x but I read an article online that said verizons data plan will end up costing you like $350 more over the two years, so that's one issue...

The other thing is can someone explain to my droid is superior to iPhone os? I'm not one of these people that thinks the sun shines out Steve jobbs ass, nor do I think he is evil. I've played around with my friends moto droid and it didn't seem to really understand the interface, cuz I'm so used to the iPhone os. My only real gripe with the iPhone is the battery and ATT.

I'd really like your guys advice, why does apple suck and droid kick ass?

iPhone doesn't suck despite what people say in this forum. From what I know it's a decent smart phone, one of the best. What makes Droid different (notice I didn't say superior) is the fact that the Droid is highly customizable. You can jailbreak an iPhone but that is a far cry from what we can do when we root our phones.

Overclocking the speed of the Droid, custom ROMs, themes. Open source platform so any developer can contribute to it not just what Apple says. We're only limited by what we want to attempt to do.

And we really do have a better network then AT&T so you've got more 3G coverage.

As far as tier pricing for data, it will be competitive to what AT&T is offering now. Right now we pay 30.00 a month, for many of us who don't use that much data if tier is offered we will actually save money.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook provide excellent information.

As a former iPhone owner I can tell you that when I made the switch I thought the iPhone had a better UI. After using my Driod for over 6 months I'm very comfortable with and happy with my Driod. The VZW network works better, for me. The ability to customize my Droid has provided hours of fun.

I'm glad I made the switch.

Hope that helps.
Mike

thelion

Reaction score
I had the Droid when it first launched. I left (due to a massive customer service failure) and went to AT&T. The only thing comparable to my Droid was the iPhone. So that is what I got and what I used for the last six months. I had to jailbreak my phone to even make it remotely capable of doing everything I needed (read: wanted) in a phone. That resulted in some serious bugginess. Like the phone nor properly charging - or at all.

The iphone is great for folks who want a flashy phone that has a lot of power but not a lot of options. If you want something you can pick up and just use - go with an iPhone. If you want something that can work for you, get an Android. I am now back to my Droid and I love it. I missed it. I considered getting a Droid X but opted to stick with the original Moto Droid. I like it - it does what I need. And when 2.2 comes, it will be fab.

OP
S

spikeymikey

Reaction score
Ok, but in plain terms, what does open source and customizable mean? What will the droid do that they iPhone can't? And what does that mean for the "average" person???

eliassami5

Reaction score
Ok, but in plain terms, what does open source and customizable mean? What will the droid do that they iPhone can't? And what does that mean for the "average" person???

"average" as in my mom, your mom, people who dont care about electronics and just want something simple.

Open as in no boundary's, you can do pretty much whatever you want with the phone without someone (apple) telling you you cant do that. The droid can be rooted, kind of like being an administrator in windows 7 or vista. You have control over pretty much the whole phone, this allows you to change the look of pretty much ANYTHING you want, you can overclock (make the phone run faster), wifi teather, install different basebands (gives you better reception with vzw towers) and much much more. Thats what the iPhone cant do.

Last edited:

jlaidlaw

Reaction score

You can customize nearly everything on the android OS when rooted. You can make the phone how you like it in every possible way. If you want to overclock your phone, droid does. If you want to tether your 3g to your laptop or another wifi-compatible device, droid does. There is just so much you can do to your phone once you are rooted, it really is amazing.

dwagner88

Reaction score
I would look at it this way:
With the iPhone OS, you are less likely to encounter technical problems, be they serious or minor. The downside to this is that you can't do things like overclocking.

With Android, you are free to do basically whatever you want. Some people on this forum run their phones' processors at more than twice the clock speed they were designed for. Doing things like this can result in glitches. If you are okay with occasional glitches, then this is not a bad tradeoff.

On a more basic level, the UI customizations that Android offers are far better than the iPhones. I am a widget whore. I would die on iOS.

Trash Can

Reaction score
First time poster here. Like the OP, my contract is up with AT&T/iPhone. I absolutely love the iPhone itself, mainly because the interface makes it so easy to use. However, I can no longer take the dropped calls and lousy network. The latest iPhone 4 reception issues confirm things aren't getting any better. So I have decided to come "home" to Verizon, where I was for seven years before switching to the iPhone.

I am fairly certain I am going to get the Droid X. The size concerns me a little, so I definitely want to get a feel for it in a store to make sure I'm comfortable before making a purchase.

My concern is not so much about me, but it's more about my wife. With all of the customization you can do with these devices, will she be able to figure it out fairly easily? I only ask because the iPhone was the first phone we ever had where we did not have to read the manual to figure out what to do.

We played around with a Droid and The Incredible last week. Obviously, it wasn't anything like we are used to. I realize it's a different OS, but coming from an iPhone, how intuitive is it? I would hate for her not to get the maximum benefits from the phone. FWIW, she's not into overclocking or any of that type stuff. She just wants a reliable, easy to use smart phone. Is a Droid for her or should we look for something else?

Thanks for your input!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
We played around with a Droid and The Incredible last week. Obviously, it wasn't anything like we are used to. I realize it's a different OS, but coming from an iPhone, how intuitive is it? I would hate for her not to get the maximum benefits from the phone. FWIW, she's not into overclocking or any of that type stuff. She just wants a reliable, easy to use smart phone. Is a Droid for her or should we look for something else?

Thanks for your input!

The Droid requires a slight learning curve, especially when coming off an iPhone, but it's not that bad. The iPhone is designed so anyone can pick it up and make calls (till they get dropped) and download whatever they want from the the app store (and give Jobs more money). Before I got my droid I fooled around with a friend's Blackberry Storm and couldn't figure out jack on it, and I've been building, repairing, modifying, using, etc, computers and technology for almost two decades now. I had the Droid figured out, basics-wise, in only an hour, though it did take about a week to REALLY have it figured out. (I rooted after one month, but only when I found out that the FroYo flavor being given us officially didn't do wifi tethering, but that's neither here nor there to you):)

90% of the power of the Motorola Droid comes from rooting it, but stock is still awesome. In exchange for the learning curve you get a phone that does more, has better network coverage, can be modified heavily so it looks and does exactly what you want it to do, has a much more open framework, and so on and so forth. Furthermore, the OS is still improving! It's possible the Droid will get minor updates, if not a full-blown Gingerbread update, once FroYo is given an official release. Even though it doesn't seem likely, the Eris got a 2.1 when nobody had counted on it.

Personally I think the new iPhone is too plain-looking, and I do like having a slide-out keyboard (if not the design on this one), but that's my preference. I like the industrial look of the Droid, and I HATE the new AT&T data plan -- $20 for 2Gb of data, $10 a Gb over that :icon_eek: -- versus the unlimited data plan on Verizon. If you go for a new iPhone you'll have the new data plan. Just some food for thought for you. If you do a lot of downloading while on the go you might find yourself paying a lot more than what AT&T is saying you'll be paying.

eliassami5

Reaction score
First time poster here. Like the OP, my contract is up with AT&T/iPhone. I absolutely love the iPhone itself, mainly because the interface makes it so easy to use. However, I can no longer take the dropped calls and lousy network. The latest iPhone 4 reception issues confirm things aren't getting any better. So I have decided to come "home" to Verizon, where I was for seven years before switching to the iPhone.

I am fairly certain I am going to get the Droid X. The size concerns me a little, so I definitely want to get a feel for it in a store to make sure I'm comfortable before making a purchase.

My concern is not so much about me, but it's more about my wife. With all of the customization you can do with these devices, will she be able to figure it out fairly easily? I only ask because the iPhone was the first phone we ever had where we did not have to read the manual to figure out what to do.

Thanks for your input!

Just because you dont root and overclock dosent mean you cant benefit from the Android OS. Far from it, the Inc. is a fantastic device for enjoying the stock OS. There is learning curve just like any other phone but once she gets the hang of it i guarantee she wont look back. I got my Droid the week it came out and stayed stock for close to 5 moths before rooting. I just wanted to be able to overclock and get wifi teather, and just wanted a stock look and thats what i did. I loved it and i started experimenting more with different looks and themes. But if i had to go back to stock i wouldn't mind it at all.

Going from iOS to Android is an eye opening experience. You have trained yourself to think you don't need something with iOS and therefore you see things in other phones and think..wow this isn't intuitive at all. But in fact you taught yourself to do without it, where others who have never used an iPhone can take an Android device and be right at home with it. Things like a back button or more than one button on the exterior of the phone, a rechargeable battery, wallpapers, menu's..etc.

Last edited:

Trash Can

Reaction score
I HATE the new AT&T data plan -- $20 for 2Gb of data, $10 a Gb over that :icon_eek: -- versus the unlimited data plan on Verizon. If you go for a new iPhone you'll have the new data plan. Just some food for thought for you. If you do a lot of downloading while on the go you might find yourself paying a lot more than what AT&T is saying you'll be paying.

Actually, as a current iPhone 3G customer, I could keep the unlimited data plan. That said, I made the decision to leave before iPhone 4 was released. What good is an unlimited data plan on an overloaded network with lousy coverage? Verizon was great before I left - I got more dropped calls in one week with AT&T than I did in over seven years at Verizon. Looking forward to coming back. :)

Now, about that learning curve......

Just because you dont root and overclock dosent mean you cant benefit from the Android OS. Far from it, the Inc. is a fantastic device for enjoying the stock OS. There is learning curve just like any other phone but once she gets the hang of it i guarantee she wont look back.

Going from iOS to Android is an eye opening experience. You have trained yourself to think you don't need something with iOS and therefore you see things in other phones and think..wow this isn't intuitive at all. But in fact you taught yourself to do without it, where others who have never used an iPhone can take an Android device and be right at home with it. Things like a back button or more than one button on the exterior of the phone, a rechargeable battery, wallpapers, menu's..etc.

Time for the seriously dumb newbie question of the day.... what do you mean by rooting it?

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Rooting is basically like having total access over your phone, kind of like being an administrator in windows 7 or vista. This allows you to do whatever you want to the phone.