Oleophobic Screen?

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the Droid's screen seems to be oleophobic? I take it out of my pocket and the screen is perfectly clean of finger prints... This is the characteristic of an oleophobic coating.

jdubbs23

Reaction score
Hmmm not sure what oleophobic is, but my screen gets littered with smugs and fingerprints.

jkayner

Reaction score
he's basically talking about resists water/oil. Kinda like it has rainx applied to it. I have some Oakley sunglasses like this.

and to the OP, I have noticed the screen wipes clean very easily. Most likely the motion inside your pocket is constantly wiping it off.

xliderider

Reaction score
It does feel very slick, especially when I compare it to my iPod Touch's screen. The iPod Touch screen is a fingerprint magnet.

Oleo = oil
Phobic = to resist/repel, to fear.

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah I have a feeling it does have a coating on it. The older iPhones don't wipe clean this easily. Only the 3GS has it, not the original or 3G.

An oleophobic screen doesn't stop fingerprints from occurring, it just makes them much, much easier to wipe off. Like in this case, I literally just take it out of my pocket and the thing looks brand new. I highly doubt it would do that without a coating on it.

I just find it strange that I can't find it in any of the specifications.

jkayner

Reaction score
I carefully placed a drop of liquid (watered down dr. pepper to be exact) on the screen. As you can see it is repelling the liquid quite nicely!

Droidforums

Reaction score
If it does have it it's not as good as the 3GS. because the 3gs does not get so finger magnet that easy like the droid. I could/would never use the droid without a screen protector because its very finger magnectic.

FHD

Reaction score
What is a good screen protector for Droid?
Also,
I noticed 1 more thing... if you blow air on the screen you can clearly see that its different... for a second, it got
condensation on it and it just disappears like magic.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I highly recommend Ghost Armor. Best one out now. No orange peel or tackiness to it. It's actually hard to even tell it's on the device unless you point it out to someone.

Best product out of all of the body kits. I think........

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Also,
I noticed 1 more thing... if you blow air on the screen you can clearly see that its different... for a second, it got

in all honesty since its a glass screen a protector isnt needed. you would have to really hit something hard to scratch the screen and in the process im sure the screen protector would have failed in the process.

sin vicious

Reaction score
Also,

in all honesty since its a glass screen a protector isnt needed. you would have to really hit something hard to scratch the screen and in the process im sure the screen protector would have failed in the process.

Agree! I took a box cutter to the screen... nada.. not a ding in sight!

Natolx

Reaction score
Also,

Stop spreading false information people and risking peoples screens. Any kind of piece of hard stone or rock, no matter how small, will scratch the screen if its caught between the screen and anything else. These small pieces of grit are not a rare occurrence. Even the keyring of your keys(the sharp part) has a chance of scratching the screen. There's a chance it won't but until someone tests it I'm going to assume it will

sin vicious

Reaction score
Dude, this must be some crack majic then. Natlox, do some research before throwing bombs.

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8[/video]

Natolx

Reaction score
That is testing brass against the screen. An EXTREMELY soft metal. The only test that had any validity was the key dropping because it gave the keyRING(the only steel part) a small chance to hit the screen.

Edit: Even the nickel coating on some keys is softer than window glass.... so that key test was totally useless.

Last edited:

sin vicious

Reaction score
That is testing brass against the screen. An EXTREMELY soft metal. The only test that had any validity was the key dropping because it gave the keyRING(the only steel part) a small chance to hit the screen.

Edit: Even the nickel coating on some keys is softer than window glass.... so that key test was totally useless.

So who in their right mind is going to carry stone based articles in their pockets? Its safe to say that whatever needs to hit it to scratch it would also go through a protector. :)