Old man new to droid

genelovesmary1954

Reaction score
Greetings to all. My name is Gene, and I am an old man with very limited technology experience. My grandson bought me a Droid Global 2 phone and it has proven to be a challenge to me.

My present problem is not being able to download music on my device. I have dozens of albums dating back over 25 years. Some will download, others will not. All of my albums have been purchased by me and none are pirated. I have seen advertisements on the net for progams the permit changes to the copying protections, but I am in the dark. Would anyone be interested in helping me?

Thank you,
Gene

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Old is a state of mind, my friend. You have come to the right place. Lots of very knowledgeable people here that are very willing to provide assistance. Now when you say downloading music to your phone, where are you "downloading" it from? Or do you, in fact, mean transferring the music to your device?

dtdlurch

Reaction score
That's an excellent grandson you have there! And I second Sweet Daddy's statement....all of them, actually. His questions are the best to ask so that we get a little more info on how to help you.

At this point, the only advice I can add is that you don't need to worry about lack of technology experience. It changes so fast and so often, everybody is always "lost". You just got to dive in and don't be afraid of "breaking" anything as far as software on your phone. If you can break it, more than likely, we can help you fix it. As for the physical phone itself, if you break that, you are on your own! :)

OP
G

genelovesmary1954

Reaction score
Maybe old is a state of mind, but my body reminds me everyday. Anyway, I am trying to move files from my computer where I have all my music stored onto my phone. I try making playlists, and some play, but other don't. When linking to my windows media player, many of the files just don't show up.

OP
G

genelovesmary1954

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply. I am not sure how to reply to your message, but I will use the quick reply button and trust it will get to you.

OP
G

genelovesmary1954

Reaction score
I am not sure, and I don't know how to determine that. My albums are mostly CD, and they go back to Jackie Gleasons music.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
When you look at a song on the computer, it should be something like "MySong.mp3" or "MySong.wav" the 3 letters/numbers after the period tell us what format the song is in.

Reaction score
You mentioned Windows Media Player... if your music is "in" there, right-click on a song and choose properties. It will show you the Audio Codec which will be something like Windows Media Audio (WMA) or MP3... then in location it will tell you where the files are, this will help too.

Nealius

Reaction score
Gene Its just a learning curve you need to ramp up to. Since you were able to find us here. You will have the phone mastered in no time.

baby steps.. you have to learn to crawl before you can run.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't know how old you are but we got one moderator in his 60's and I'm 58. Not exactly spring chickens, and we can do it.

OP
G

genelovesmary1954

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for picking up on my request. I am at work now and can't follow up, but I will check out your recommendations when I get home.

To dtdlurch: He truly is an excellent grandson. He and his wife gave us our first three great grandchildren, and we love them all dearly.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Ur gonna get tons of info here with many assistance from others, as u can see...good luck

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA

OP
G

genelovesmary1954

Reaction score
Thanks Hook. I will be 76 in June. I know I can learn whatever I have to. I just have to listen to people who know, and take it a little at a time.

calichris209

Reaction score
Yeah these forums are really helpful.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums