OK....Stupid Newbie Problem

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I am new but did manage to find this place about the same time as the leaked 2.1 came out, so of course I had to have it.

Anyway, aside from a few lags here and there I am ok with 2.1 but something strange happened yesterday after I installed Helix Launcher. After not being able to see the Helix app icon anywhere on my phone, each time I would hit the Home button, I would get a menu with 3 choices: Helix, Home and HTC Sense. Even if I chose Helix I really saw no difference in anything and/or couldn't find any new settings to make my desktop different like many talked about. Since I really couldn't find how to access Helix and use it, I went back to the Market and uninstalled it because it did not show up in my uninstaller app.

Anyway, since the Helix uninstall every time I hit the Home button I still get a menu: Home and HTC Sense. I have tried each and if I select Home it takes me to the UI that was there before I upgraded to 2.1. If I choose HTC Sense it takes me to the new UI and menus.

My question is......why would this be happening and specifically why after installing Helix? Maybe I don't understand what Helix really was but it seems that I have the option of using my 1.5 or my 2.1 UI now which I never had before. I don't want to select "Always choose this option" on either one because I wouldn't be able to choose any longer but on the other hand to get this menu EVERY time I hit Home is kind of a pain in the a55.

Any input on this would be great, as I said I am just now learning the Android.

Thanks!

l0stperfecti0n

Reaction score
The reason it says home or Sense is because you have to set one as the default. Home is just the Android standard home screen without HTC's Sense UI. It isn't taking you back to 1.5, both are still 2.1.

OP
mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
The reason it says home or Sense is because you have to set one as the default. Home is just the Android standard home screen without HTC's Sense UI. It isn't taking you back to 1.5, both are still 2.1.

I see. I suppose I should default it to HTC Sense but I kind of like the apps tab in the Home mode. I dunno. Thanks for your help.

l0stperfecti0n

Reaction score

I see. I suppose I should default it to HTC Sense but I kind of like the apps tab in the Home mode. I dunno. Thanks for your help.

No prob. You can use either one. Before I updated to the leaked 2.1 on my Eris I was just running the Home without Sense. I thought it ran a little smoother on 1.5. With the 2.1 update I find the Sense to be much better now.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Helix is also coded nicely so it doesnt add a icon to the actual app tray. If you wish to configure, you go to menu, configure ...

snyluc13

Reaction score
Helix is also coded nicely so it doesnt add a icon to the actual app tray. If you wish to configure, you go to menu, configure ...

OK, maybe I'll give it another shot. Now I see Helix 2.....

Helix2 will send you into a force close loop which you'll have to pull the battery and reboot the phone and choose either sense or home and then uninstall Helix2