OK, once and for all please...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been reading until my eyes are crossed about this new OTA...

I am running a rooted Droid 2. Stock, no custom ROM's, just happily rooted, with Titanium Backup, Wireless Tether, etc. I have not deleted any bloatware. I am quite happy with my phone just the way it is, and when the last OTA came out for the D2 I downloaded it, and re-rooted with minimal hassles. I like my one tap Titanium Backup to Dropbox. One tap Wireless Tether for my laptop, etc.

However in all the reading I have done in numerous threads about this subject, I have not been able to find conclusive answers to a couple of very basic questions.

1) If I download this newest Gingerbread update, how difficult is getting my root on again?

2) Is it going to fry my root apps (especially the paid ones) such as Titanium Backup, Wireless Tether, etc?

I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ... and my schedule just doesn't afford me the time to tinker with it like I did when I got the phone a year ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rooting is easy it takes about 5 min. i had no issues with my tb. you just have to remember to restore the data only not the app on somethings. but being an upgrade you shouldnt lose anything. i didnt. heres how to root

[ROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX)

use this file

MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4.zip

e
asy a cake takes about 5 min

there is no unroot to this as of yet..

What exactly do you mean by "restore the data only not the app on somethings"?

The OTA has finally come to my phone. I want to be 100% sure before I say yes to this puppy... :icon_eek:

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK so I downloaded the OTA to my phone, painfully slow and even did the 3G-1X dance for the last 6% of it. Phone rebooted, it got to the install screen, gave me a yellow exclamation point in a triangle, and then rebooted again, and then told me "Update Failed"... any ideas? I have removed no bloatware, and I still have root. :icon_eek:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK so I downloaded the OTA to my phone, painfully slow and even did the 3G-1X dance for the last 6% of it. Phone rebooted, it got to the install screen, gave me a yellow exclamation point in a triangle, and then rebooted again, and then told me "Update Failed"... any ideas? I have removed no bloatware, and I still have root. :icon_eek:

Don't install the OTA unless you unroot

random rom'd X

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you used Z4 to root, just use it to unroot. Or sbf back to Froyo, then install GB.

random rom'd X

I rooted over a year ago before there was a Z4 root... I did it the hard way, hooked it up to my laptop and ran it that way. :(

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted over a year ago before there was a Z4 root... I did it the hard way, hooked it up to my laptop and ran it that way. :(

Then sbf back to Froyo

random rom'd X

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Then sbf back to Froyo

random rom'd X

Would you be so kind as to point me to instructions on how to do that? I know what it is... but my one question is am I going to lose every app I have on the phone or will I be able to restore everything with Titanium Backup? I would just as soon not even bother with the OTA if it's going to be all that...

slimpirudude

Reaction score
Search on Google or here.... 1000's of threads, posts, vids and tutorials you could ever need!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Search on Google or here.... 1000's of threads, posts, vids and tutorials you could ever need!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Was already doing that, Google is my friend LOL but the biggest question I have is about the apps... will Titanium Backup restore all the hard work I put into this phone or do I have to start over?

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
Was already doing that, Google is my friend LOL but the biggest question I have is about the apps... will Titanium Backup restore all the hard work I put into this phone or do I have to start over?

You best bet for the restore is to restore the apps (not system data) and when you run the batch for the app restore choose the setting for app only. You may get parsing errors (froyo data doesn't match GB) if you try to restore data with the apps.

Does that clear it up a bit for you?

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You best bet for the restore is to restore the apps (not system data) and when you run the batch for the app restore choose the setting for app only. You may get parsing errors (froyo data doesn't match GB) if you try to restore data with the apps.

Does that clear it up a bit for you?

It does indeed... thank you very much! :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well I dove in headfirst... and I am happy to report that I successfully did the SBF, then downloaded the new Gingerbread update, then re-rooted, then restored all my apps and settings with Titanium Backup. Other than having to tweak a few things here and there, and being a little time consuming, I pulled it off without any major hitches... dancedroid

*Patting myself on the back* :D