OG Droid - rooted, deleted several apk's, now I can't update. What now?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add, do not try installing from Rom Manager. Boot into Clockwork and do the install manually.
I do this most the time as well. It may not be as easy as clicking a button from rom manager but it is better becuase you can see the log of what you did and if something went wrong or can even do other things.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
How does one boot into cwr on a d1? I've always used either d2 bootstrap or rom manager (cm7)

CM7-11/22

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
How does one boot into cwr on a d1? I've always used either d2 bootstrap or rom manager (cm7)

CM7-11/22

When the phone is off, hold down the power button and "X" on the keyboard. Keep holding X until cwr shows up

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sweet. That just takes me into stock recovery on my d2. So do I need to flash cwr somehow or does it just show up (not likely)?

CM7-11/22

OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Installation Instructions [ClockWork]
1) Download the ROM of your choice and place on your SD Card
Did this - SS4.96
2) Reboot into ClockWork recovery
Did this - CWM recovery version 2.5.0.1 - market says newer version is not compatible with my device
3) Scroll down and select “Backup and Restore”
4) Select “Backup
5) After backup is complete
Did backup before starting all this - didn't see the option in CWM recovery - I just noticed it is under though - nandroid
6) Select “Wipe data”
7) Select “Wipe Cache
8) Select “Install zip from sdcard”
9) select “Choose Zip from sdcard”
10) Navigate to where you placed the ROM and select it
11) On the Confirm Install screen scroll down and select “Yes
Did 6-11 and get the following:
-- Installing: SDCARD:SimplyStunning-v4.96-update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/SimplyStunning-v4.96-update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

Tried to install a copy of SS4.96 that I had renamed update.zip and got the same error:
-- Installing: SDCARD:update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

12) Your ROM will be installed
Nope

13) Reboot from the main screen of ClockWork Recovery
Tried doing the whole thing over again, same result.

Now I'm totally lost. Since I now have to re-set up my email accounts (8 of them, grrrr) and figure out what free apps I had (didn't bother to write them down, grrrr) I would like to get this sorted out BEFORE I reconfigure my phone and end up redoing everything again.

OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Re-download the rom. I think you have a bad download: 1/17/11 - SS 4.96 is Ready! Don't download it through Rom Manager.

I just figured out that the problem is with the download link on the page you link to above. It's throwing a 500 page error, so I guess I wasn't actually downloading the rom after all. Any other places to download it from that you know of?

Any reason not to go to the Gingerbread ones?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Downloading... assuming it works, and please forgive my ignorance... does the backup I made restore all my settings, texts, etc? If so, how do I access it and restore it? Through CWM Recovery?

Yes, it will restore everything. It is under the Nandroid/Restore option. You will then be asked to select with backup you want to restore. In your case, just do the most recent one.

Also, once you have the rom installed and setup the way you like it, go back to Clockwork and make a new backup. That way you can restore it if it screws up.

OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Yes, it will restore everything. It is under the Nandroid/Restore option. You will then be asked to select with backup you want to restore. In your case, just do the most recent one.

Also, once you have the rom installed and setup the way you like it, go back to Clockwork and make a new backup. That way you can restore it if it screws up.

Well, I'm happy/sad...

The GB rom installed just fine, and I'm amazed at how nice it looks and how smooth it runs (for now?). I'm very impressed. That's the happy part.

Sad part, I must have botched up the backup, because the only other one I can find is from April of this year, ran that backup, but it went back to 2.2 and didn't have any of my apps/data/etc. Blech.

I'm guessing that if I did have a good backup somewhere, I would need to go into advanced restore, and choose restore data only? I'm having little fits over the prospect of manually getting my phone back to how I had it (free apps and email account setup)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy/sad...

The GB rom installed just fine, and I'm amazed at how nice it looks and how smooth it runs (for now?). I'm very impressed. That's the happy part.

Sad part, I must have botched up the backup, because the only other one I can find is from April of this year, ran that backup, but it went back to 2.2 and didn't have any of my apps/data/etc. Blech.

I'm guessing that if I did have a good backup somewhere, I would need to go into advanced restore, and choose restore data only? I'm having little fits over the prospect of manually getting my phone back to how I had it (free apps and email account setup)

You didn't do a backup of the newly installed rom before doing the April restore? If no, then reinstall the rom, setup the way you like, go to Clockwork and do a backup before making any other changes.

OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

Reaction score
Heh, I got trigger happy and at this point I'm not sure what I've done, not done. No biggie, I've almost got things back how I want them, with the biggest problem at the moment being that Simply Stunning has ADW Launcher built in and I can't figure out how to disable it. Try any which way that I can, ADW will not show my status bar. I'm ready to pull my hair out over it. I see the setting, I've tried restarting/refreshing/resetting/clicking/unclicking etc. and the setting just won't take. No status bar is bad for me.