Offroad Application

weems

Reaction score
I'm looking for an application that marks different trails that I travel on. I go jeeping pretty regularly and I hate using hard to understand maps. The trails are obviously not marked on google maps. Is there an application that marks where you have gone, and you can label the area traveled? It would be best to add into google maps, but I think that would not be possible(but i have no idea).

Thanks in advance.

BeaverPuncher

Reaction score
App is called My Tracks

I use it on my motorcycle to record roads and add pics at good places to stop to let my friends know

You can overlay your map on Google maps right from your phone.

I'm in TN too, where you located?

Last edited:

ronhawker

Reaction score
GPS Tracking

Try down loading and using Tracks from the market place. It looks like it will do what you want. You may be able to convert it to google maps as well with the right converter. I've done that with other way marker aps before.

I'm looking for an application that marks different trails that I travel on. I go jeeping pretty regularly and I hate using hard to understand maps. The trails are obviously not marked on google maps. Is there an application that marks where you have gone, and you can label the area traveled? It would be best to add into google maps, but I think that would not be possible(but i have no idea).

Thanks in advance.

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Do these apps work when you have no data connection? I go out to Northern NV and do some offroading with a friend and this would be cool but there isn't any kind of service out there.

ronhawker

Reaction score
GPS Tracking

No, it does need a link to operate. What I have is a cheap Garmin that will track and have that in my tank bag. I think you can get those for around $25 now. I then convert that track to google maps track. You need a data/cell link for anything to work on the Droid regardless.

I haven't seen anything that will use the GPS in the Droid without a link.

GadgetRick

Reaction score
No, it does need a link to operate. What I have is a cheap Garmin that will track and have that in my tank bag. I think you can get those for around $25 now. I then convert that track to google maps track. You need a data/cell link for anything to work on the Droid regardless.

I haven't seen anything that will use the GPS in the Droid without a link.

I sorta figured that but thought it was worth asking. :)

mr4r4n

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I Believe maverick is the only one I've heard of that can do offline I don't know how it works though

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
You need data for the map, but not for GPS. I am also a Jeeper and I have used My Tracks for what you describe. I have some scribbles that I wanted to convert into a labeled trail map but I haven't done anything with it.

SGTiger

Reaction score
You know a lot of those trails, logging roads, etc. are on the USGS quad maps. You can use oruxmaps and the accompanying utility and download those for offline use. Works real well. I love oruxmaps. No charge for the app and the maps.