Official Gingerbread released !!! Congratulations to everybody !!!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Truthfully, I would love for the guy or person that created the thread to participate and give us where he got the info?????? Lol

My D2 is miles ahead of me running Cm7GB(OTAkernel)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
We got ours @ midnight...that's when I would check..if its coming it will prolly be then.(if it happens)

captain howdy

Reaction score
Motorola Droid 2 [UPDATED 9/1/11]: Motorola released the Android 2.3 upgrade for the Motorola Droid 2 on September 1, 2011. The upgrade is being sent out to users in waves; you should also be able to manually start the download by going to the "System Updates" section under "About Phone" in your main settings menu. This rollout affects only the original Droid 2 device; as of September 1, the Droid 2 Global's upgrade is still pending.

So the last sentence is it true or false? Is the ota only for the droid2 and not the global? Or is the poster wrong?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

nola

Reaction score
So the last sentence is it true or false? Is the ota only for the droid2 and not the global? Or is the poster wrong?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

the last sentence is true. if you look at moto and vzw pdf's in the original post, what i've gathered is that gingerbread is indeed official for the d2g BUT why what he said is relevant is the timetable. sept 1st was day(s) after the d2's soak test, therefore based on that logic, we (d2g owners) should be receiving our ota in waves over the course of the next couple weeks or possibly by tonight. i'm putting my money on midnight and i'm staying awake for it. if nothing comes of it by 12:30, i'll either deal with stock or put hexen back on.

nola

Reaction score
to reiterate because i don't think i was clear, both the original poster AND otacon are accurate. gingerbread is OFFICIAL for the d2g BUT there might be a wait involved in acquiring it on our d2gs...be that a matter of hours or weeks we'll find out

edit: as a disclaimer, my statements are based upon the aforementioned verizon and moto pdf's and the info contained within those docs

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
to reiterate because i don't think i was clear, both the original poster AND otacon are accurate. gingerbread is OFFICIAL for the d2g BUT there might be a wait involved in acquiring it on our d2gs...be that a matter of hours or weeks we'll find out

edit: as a disclaimer, my statements are based upon the aforementioned verizon and moto pdf's and the info contained within those docs

I agree, however, I don't know that the week thing is very certain, because we all have ours, just don't know why they would make you guys wait, but not us....then again who knows...I'm happy your waiting Nola! But, if anything, I expect a promising update sooner than later...fingers crossed! The two week to three week think is a safety fall for any interuptions with servers and or waves etc. But I've never heard of it really taking that long...hope all works well and wish the best!

nola

Reaction score
well i'm gonna stay up until at least 12:30. LSU is layin the smack down upon oregon so i'll be in a good enough mood to wait it out awhile. 'preciate the support there bud. hopefully soon i'll be cruisin down cm7 highway on GB4d2g

maxwellag

Reaction score
So when does the update come, if it comes tonight? Will it be midnight eastern, or central? I am in central time so I am just trying to figure out how long it will be...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

rusty815

Reaction score
i doubt that the update for the d2g will come tonight seeing as how the soak test started a while ago, give it a few more days, it usually takes close to a week for the soak test to finish.

nola

Reaction score
i doubt that the update for the d2g will come tonight seeing as how the soak test started a while ago, give it a few more days, it usually takes close to a week for the soak test to finish.

this is true, but at the same time, if the soak test has been "a while ago" wouldn't it be closer to the ota? not only that, but the soak is done supposedly. verizon and moto both have documentation on gingerbread being official for the d2g as of today. and that's as of like 10 hours ago. i could definitely be wrong (and most likely will be) but i'm holding out hope that tonight it'll happen :icon_ banana:

rusty815

Reaction score
the soak test started 2 days ago, i dont think moto ever had a soak test finish in 2 days. of course, i may be wrong as well, maybe the reason they rushed out those surveys to people on the soak test the day after the test started was so they can finish it real soon. but im sure it will take a week, thats how long it took for the x, and the d2.

maxwellag

Reaction score
I agree, however, I don't know that the week thing is very certain, because we all have ours, just don't know why they would make you guys wait, but not us....then again who knows...I'm happy your waiting Nola! But, if anything, I expect a promising update sooner than later...fingers crossed! The two week to three week think is a safety fall for any interuptions with servers and or waves etc. But I've never heard of it really taking that long...hope all works well and wish the best!

I think they would make us wait because the droid 2 was out for a few months, then the global came out, and it sold more, so the servers would be overloaded if all the droid 2 global people all tried to update in the same time frame.

maxwellag

Reaction score
the soak test started 2 days ago, i dont think moto ever had a soak test finish in 2 days. of course, i may be wrong as well, maybe the reason they rushed out those surveys to people on the soak test the day after the test started was so they can finish it real soon. but im sure it will take a week, thats how long it took for the x, and the d2.

It would be nice if someone who had a dx or d2 could tell us how long after the soak was released that they took the survey...

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I got the survey a day or so after the soak. I complained about two things: the 3g icon shifting a pixel(I made a fix already for that) and the annoying new non-standard transitions. Why moto? I'm expecting ota release within the next week though.