odin mode what is it and could i access it on a brand new phone

angelman

Reaction score
I recently got a replacement nexus after my first one refused to turn on. Shop exchanged it immediately in store.
New phone has been fine. Subjectively even a little faster maybe. I put in the extended battery today and when it rebooted it went into odin mode with a message saying downloading do not turn off target. I waited a while then just pressed the off button anyway and the phone rebooted fine.
Searching forums this odin mode and following mesage seems to be a feature of a rooted phone. Could it be my phone is not brand new and has been previously rooted. If so seems like a good reason to get another replacement no?

ack41988

Reaction score
If you press the volume down button and the power button at the same time it starts odin mode. Its is used to restore phone with factory a image.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
That's the screen you want when you're using Odin, which flashes stock or custom ROMs onto your phone. Galaxy Tab users have usually referred to it as download mode.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
ok so just to clarify it is just a standard part of the firmware of the phone correct? I don't recall holding down the volume button when I rebooted after using the new battery but maybe I did. I am a little suspicious of the extended battery since my last phone died. My friend who also just got the extended battery (from verizon's sale) had the same thing happen to his phone though he was able to restart it eventually.

That's the screen you want when you're using Odin, which flashes stock or custom ROMs onto your phone. Galaxy Tab users have usually referred to it as download mode.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok so just to clarify it is just a standard part of the firmware of the phone correct? I don't recall holding down the volume button when I rebooted after using the new battery but maybe I did. I am a little suspicious of the extended battery since my last phone died. My friend who also just got the extended battery (from verizon's sale) had the same thing happen to his phone though he was able to restart it eventually.

Yes, correct, it is normal, you must have held the volume while powering on, has happened to all of us at one time or another, the thing is so wide, and the natural grip places your fingers in the right spot for that to occur :)