Odd overheating issue in 2.2 Roms, but not 2.1

berzerkus

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to try to explain this as best I can.

For a while I've been playing with the different 2.2 roms out there. The other day my droid seemed to be acting oddly. It would download apps from the market, but get stuck installing. (this was on Kangerade) It just would never complete. I rebooted the phone and still nothing. I went into the market app and cleared the data and cache and still nothing.

I decided I'd try flashing a new rom, figuring perhaps it was a bug. So I flashed Bugless Beast 0.2.1. I did wipe data/cache. It booted up ok at first, but while syncing it seemed to get very hot. It shut off and rebooted itself. It stayed warm and I decided to download some apps. Still they would not install. I tried then to install them from my Titanium backup. I flashed the new busybox and it would not install them from there either.

I got frustrated and went to Cyanogen 5.0.8 It works just fine. Everything works and downloads correctly. So the next day I decided to try another froyo rom. I tried 3 different ones and all of them the phone seemed to be excessively warm and apps in market would again get stuck on installing. One of the roms even got random force closes and reboots.

Am I missing something? I went back to cyanogen 5.0.8 and it works fine again.

Edit: the heat seems to come from above the battery beside the camera. Not from the battery itself. Everything had been working just a day before this started. And I've never had issues before.

Last edited:
J

Johnly

Unusual. Sounds like your chip, better get a different kernel on 2.2. Pete's work fabulous...

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
ya the past couple of days ive been messing around with the 2.2 roms out right now and all of them are running hot with different kernels. the only one thats good is the updated leak of froyo with a theme over it and the kernels that were first release. but anything other than that it gets really hot.

J

Johnly

ya the past couple of days ive been messing around with the 2.2 roms out right now and all of them are running hot with different kernels. the only one thats good is the updated leak of froyo with a theme over it and the kernels that were first release. but anything other than that it gets really hot.
Would you mind elaborating..I don't want to run into these issues, and I have run a few 2.2 roms and kernels with zero temp issues. What ROMS if you will, and what kernels? Specifics help a great deal.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
ive tried kangerade, bb, and the ud froyo roms. all ran much warmer than the stock froyo rom. i tried i with chevys kernels and the p3droids kernels on the roms and none of them helped.

J

Johnly

ive tried kangerade, bb, and the ud froyo roms. all ran much warmer than the stock froyo rom. i tried i with chevys kernels and the p3droids kernels on the roms and none of them helped.
Thank you kindly. I ran both stock froyo roms with a 800MHz P3droid kernel and a 1GHz P3Droid kernel and had good temps. I am using SD froyo with a mild 800MHz kernel and are getting good temps. *confused*

OP
B

berzerkus

Reaction score
Update on this issue. I found what I believe to be causing the issue. In my Download folder there were 160 apk files named downloadfile-1.apk through downloadfile-160.apk

I was unable to delete these files within windows even. So I copied all of my data and formatted the card. I reloaded the needed data (nandroid backups, titanium backups, media etc..) And now it works flawlessly. It must have been overheating while in a loop trying to install apps. I hope this may help someone else in the near future.