Occasional Video Pixelation and Audio/Video Sync Issues

brochaos

Reaction score
did you try what i said? record a video, play it back, exit out back to home, go back in, record real video, and now it should not be choppy.

brochaos

Reaction score
bump.
can someone with pixelation problems try what i said and see if theirs also disappear.

OP
N

nyijedi

Reaction score
bump.
can someone with pixelation problems try what i said and see if theirs also disappear.

You may be on to something here....I just took a video with quick movement, and sure enough, it was choppy as hell. I closed the camcorder app, went right back in, and took 2 more videos - both were perfect. This is a great find on your part if it holds true. When taking video from now on, I'm going to take a quick "dummy" video first, close the camcorder app, and go back in...hopefully this will result in no pixelation.

brochaos

Reaction score
cool! i just tested again, second day now, and still working. dummy video first, then real video, no pixelation!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
cool! i just tested again, second day now, and still working. dummy video first, then real video, no pixelation!

Nice find! Hopefully, the alleged feature of the alleged 2.2 update that allegedly frees up more ram will do this without having to record a dummy video...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

banderbe

Reaction score
I also have this issue. I was running the latest Cyanogen mod and thought maybe that was the problem so I RSDLite'd back to 2.0.1. Recorded video, got the same issue. Took the OTA upgrade to 2.1, and haven't seen the issue yet but I've only recorded one video since the update.

If memory is the issue I wonder if one of those memory freeing apps out there would be of benefit.

I also believe that if this were an issue on ALL droids we would be seeing more about it. It would be a MAJOR issue, you'd read about it on the droid blogs, etc.

If this keeps up I will probably return my Droid to Verizon.

Peepeehead

Reaction score
Droid audio/video sync problem with video camera.

I bought the phone expressly for the purpose of doing video blogging. Great phone --exxxxxcept for the audio and video sync problem. Kind of ruins the whole thing.

Verizon tells me that it is a known issue with the phone and they do not expect it to be fixed any time soon. They suggested returning it within the 30-day window and getting an Incredible.

But I kind of like the Droid. And I spent some great deal of time learning how to root it. And I'm getting ready to try a different mod. (Any suggestions?)

Anyway, I will try this memory/resources hypothesis, because I guarantee you that my phone will exhibit the problem. It has from day one. If freeing resources fixes it, then I guess that's at least a decent workaround.

Would there be any mod available that would solve the problem?

banderbe

Reaction score
I took my phone to Verizon yesterday and the guy there suggested that I format the SD card (I never did it myself when I got the phone). He also suggested using Advanced Task Killer before shooting video.

I formatted the drive and shot a video today (but didn't use ATK before) and still got the pixelation and distortion after about a minute into the video.

I'm going to try the ATK thing next and see if it makes any difference.

I am past my 30 days so they will only give me another "refurbished" Droid. He says most of the Droid returns are from people who tried it and returned it within the 30 days because they wanted something else or found it too complicated. I'm not sure I entirely buy that but I suppose it's worth a shot.

This really sucks.

banderbe

Reaction score
Another idea.. lets all of us who have this issue post up our serial numbers.

I wonder if there is a commonality between the serial numbers because these sorts of manufacturing defects tend to happen in blocks. My wife and I bought our phones on the same day from the same store, and she also has this problem with her Droid.

I don't know if it's a security issue though to give out our serial number.. I know we should not give out the MEID number..

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another idea.. lets all of us who have this issue post up our serial numbers.

I wonder if there is a commonality between the serial numbers because these sorts of manufacturing defects tend to happen in blocks. My wife and I bought our phones on the same day from the same store, and she also has this problem with her Droid.

I don't know if it's a security issue though to give out our serial number.. I know we should not give out the MEID number..

Post credit card numbers used to buy phones too. You first.

Last edited:

Peepeehead

Reaction score
Here is some additional information:

The problem always seems to occur at about the one minute mark. It's almost like some sort of buffer is overflowing and information is getting dropped. This dropped information is manifested as a video/audio sync problem.

I tried the Qik service. If you use the Qik video recorder in non-live mode (that is, in record mode, where you record it THEN share it) you get exactly the same sync problem.

But if you use the Qik video recorder app in live mode (where it streams it and sends it off as you record it) there is not the sync problem, though there is an audio glitch at about where you would expect your sync problem to start.

Recording live and sending it off as it is recorded, to be archived in my folder at Qik is perfectly adequate for my needs, so that is a kind-of-adequate workaround for now.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Post credit card numbers used to buy phones too. You first.

Care to explain why posting serial numbers from our droids would be in any way equivalent to giving out credit card numbers?

No, not really. I was just making a joke based on the idea of you telling us to share information but not giving us your info first. It's a bad joke.

jcardona1

Reaction score
ive had this problem for months, even posted a thread on it. just another basic phone function that the droid DOESN'T do. getting sick of all these damn problems