OBDII scanner/performance meter?

BillTheCat

Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone has found an OBDII scanner or vehicle performance meter & data logger.

I found a couple of accelerometer based "dyno" programs, but I'd really like to find a performance meter that can read various vehicle sensors via the OBDII port, much like a Dashhawk or PLX Multigauge setup.

Granted, this would require either a specialized cable or an OBDII Bluetooth broadcaster, but I'd be tempted to invest in them if there was a good app for this. I'd even pay for a flexible, versatile & responsive app.

heem

Reaction score
hmm. You're right it would probably have to be something over bluetooth, but I could see that being an interesting product, since it wouldnt have to be droid specific - could work for iphone and windows mobile as well.

Quick looks shows that the hardware exists:

DealExtreme: $54.67 ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle

Wonder what it would take to reverse engineer the protocol, or if the company would be willing to provide some basic programming info for development of custom apps?

heem

Reaction score
That all said though, you might be happier with something like a ScanGauge - I've had one for years and it's a nice interface. That way your Droid screen is free for navigation, tunes, or whatever else. But of course that doesnt stop me from thinking about how cool this would be.

OP
BillTheCat

BillTheCat

Reaction score
I already use a Dashhawk, and I like it better than the Scangauge due to its versatility. Personal preference, as both work just fine.

I e-mailed the folks at PLX and was told that they aren't yet supporting Android, but they believe that other developers are working on an OBDII performance meter/datalogger system for us. Just no details.

PLX aso sells an OBDII WiFi dongle that would enable pretty much any WiFi smartphone to act as a datalogger/meter/code reader wth proper software support.

Right now, I have a Dashhawk and a Garmin Nuvi connected. Since the Nuvi plays mp3's, I don't need the Droid or anything while driving. But if the Droid could do GPS, music, and performance meter/logging, I could ditch both of those. That's my goal: simplify.

awake1563

Reaction score
hmm. You're right it would probably have to be something over bluetooth, but I could see that being an interesting product, since it wouldnt have to be droid specific - could work for iphone and windows mobile as well.

Wonder what it would take to reverse engineer the protocol, or if the company would be willing to provide some basic programming info for development of custom apps?

It already exists for Iphone, I already emailed these guys pleading to come out with an android app, I'm sure that the more voices they hear the more likely they are to develop...
DevToaster - Rev - iPhone app development, Great iPhone apps, and more

email them here to let them know you want android support:

[email protected]

Luxferro

Reaction score

I have that one myself. Actually I have the first rev of it, orange with clear cap - where you can see all the electronics in it.

I'm hoping someone makes an app for it. From reading about it the OBD-II protocol, it supposed to be very simple to do. We just need someone who is into making android apps also into car stuff :)

Well It might be a little more complicated programming apps for bluetooth communication. That is even if the Droids bluetooth module supports whatever bluetooth profile used for by the OOBD-II scanners.

Mawnee

Reaction score
This would be cool. If nothing else to collect logs you could look over on the droid. I currently use a Cobb Accessport myself, but I'm always open to more ways to tinker with my car :D

chomorro

Reaction score
My friend has a pretty cool dyno app for his iphone. Where the phone reads horsepower. Not super accurate but fun to see.

sabercatpuck

Reaction score
I just picked up an eris tonight while my wife was getting the regular droid, but I have plans to work on something like this soon, though I will need to get a bluetooth adaptor (ELM or other) before I can start, and learning how to develop apps for the Droid wouldn't hurt either. Boy I am just diving head long back into the programming world after a decade mostly working with hardware. I have a ECU from a junkyard Saturn (similar to my car) that I am pinging away at trying to devine it's seed/key pair before I unsolder the flash and socket it. Then I also get to learn how to program in 68hc11 too. So it may be awhile if you wait for me, but when I do get around to it I hope to have some good GM (Saturn) extensions built in to my version.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
has anyone taken a look at OBDroid on the market. Looks like it's been in progress for awhile. Found the developer on another droid forum, and mp3car forum and seems to be an ongoing development project

13lovecar14

Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone has found an OBDII scanner or vehicle performance meter & data logger.

I found a couple of accelerometer based "dyno" programs, but I'd really like to find a performance meter that can read various vehicle sensors via the OBDII port, much like a Dashhawk or PLX Multigauge setup.

Granted, this would require either a specialized cable or an OBDII Bluetooth broadcaster, but I'd be tempted to invest in them if there was a good app for this. I'd even pay for a flexible, versatile & responsive app.

Dear BillTheCat,
you got the same ideal as me, i have a Benz E350 coupe, also like to get the live data of its sensors, so yrs ago, i had bought a OBD2 DIY diagnostic tool at a Japanese online shop(they website seems as KOBD2-OBDII ?????????-?????????????, sorry, i am not sure, because it is yrs ago), but it is not wireless, not now, they had more produces than that time, so i suggest you get one from them.