Now that FoxFI is gimped, what is the next best no-root WIFI tether app?

gunn

Reaction score
Now that FoxFI is gimped, what is the next best no-root WIFI hotspot tether app?

Hi:
I just found out this morning that my phone auto-updated to a ver of FoxFi that is now usage limited. That sucks.
Since FoxFi was always a little spotty for my on my RZR Maxx on Verizon (I would have to connect/disconnect a few times), I'm not terribly keen on paying them $7 for the paid ver.
Also, it sounds like FoxFI won't work with Android 4.1 (JB) so whenever that ver is pushed OTA, I'll be SOL until a new version is release.
For a free app, I could live with that. For a paid app, my expectations would be higher.

So, is there any WIFI tethering app that works well on a RAZR Maxx on VZW on an stock, unrooted phone using WIFI as a connection to the PC (WIFI hotspot vs USB tether) besides a) FoxFI and b) the VZW supplied tethering app?
Any downsides to these apps?

I figure I might ask because there seems to be 170+ apps in the Google Play store and most of which either a) require a USB link vs WIFI to tether b) just a fancy shortcut to the default VZW tether app and/or c) require root.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards,
-g

Last edited:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hi:
I just found out this morning that my phone auto-updated to a ver of FoxFi that is now usage limited. That sucks.
Since FoxFi was always a little spotty for my on my RZR Maxx on Verizon (I would have to connect/disconnect a few times), I'm not terribly keen on paying them $7 for the paid ver.
Also, it sounds like FoxFI won't work with Android 4.1 (JB) so whenever that ver is pushed OTA, I'll be SOL until a new version is release.
For a free app, I could live with that. For a paid app, my expectations would be higher.

So, is there any WIFI tethering app that works well on a RAZR Maxx on VZW on an stock, unrooted phone using WIFI as a connection to the PC (WIFI hotspot vs USB tether) besides a) FoxFI and b) the VZW supplied tethering app?
Any downsides to these apps?

I figure I might ask because there seems to be 170+ apps in the Google Play store and most of which either a) require a USB link vs WIFI to tether b) just a fancy shortcut to the default VZW tether app and/or c) require root.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards,
-g
I don't know of any WiFi tethering apps that work...and I think I've tried them all. I look at it this way...if you do a lot of tethering or rely on tethering then the $7 is not a bad price for an app that potentially saves you $30 or more month in data charges from Big Red. One time $7 or $30 a month for 12 months...not a bad deal when you think of it.

OP
G

gunn

Reaction score
I don't know of any WiFi tethering apps that work...and I think I've tried them all. I look at it this way...if you do a lot of tethering or rely on tethering then the $7 is not a bad price for an app that potentially saves you $30 or more month in data charges from Big Red. One time $7 or $30 a month for 12 months...not a bad deal when you think of it.

Yeah, I suspected as much but before I pulled the trigger on FoxFi, I wanted to hear if anyone else had positive feedback on another app first. Anyone?

chuckr01

Reaction score
Yeah, I suspected as much but before I pulled the trigger on FoxFi, I wanted to hear if anyone else had positive feedback on another app first. Anyone?

I have been connecting my tablets to my phone with Bluetooth and using my phone for Internet access. It has worked well, I loaded Foxfi to try it but stick with Bluetooth. I don't know if it works with PCs, my laptop is so old it doesn't have Bluetooth. With ICS on my phone it is still working well. Big Red isn't blocking it even though I still have unlimited.

AirJunky

Reaction score
I have a coworker who has been sucking over 130 gb of data per month for the last 5 or 6 months..... initially on a RAZR Maxx & this month on a RAZR Maxx HD. He uses the phone all day, then goes home & starts the BT & wifi where it connects to a few different devices.... a BT handset, a Roku & a laptop.... all over Foxfi. He did say he had some issues with the free version, but that he bought it & that it was now a lot more stable.

pdholtz

Reaction score
Connect your phone to a cradle point router, enable tethering on your phone and wallah your whole house is a hot spot. Or just plug it into your computer directly, either way it uses your data plan so you can stay connected!

Reaction score
I have a coworker who has been sucking over 130 gb of data per month for the last 5 or 6 months..... initially on a RAZR Maxx & this month on a RAZR Maxx HD. He uses the phone all day, then goes home & starts the BT & wifi where it connects to a few different devices.... a BT handset, a Roku & a laptop.... all over Foxfi. He did say he had some issues with the free version, but that he bought it & that it was now a lot more stable.

Yeah I got a buddy like that too but he has been using it to connect his xbox to the internet He has been streaming netflix and playing Call of Duty multiplayer for a good 9 months now. He said he used to have connection issues with foxfi even before they went to limiting access. Since he has paid he hasn't had an issue. If I am not mistaken before they went to the paid app weren't they in beta?

As far as another app for non root goes...There isn't one that is any good in my opinion. You could go try and see if you can find an old foxfi apk and install that just don't update it. Though if you have auto updates on then that could be a pain. Honestly I think you are better off supporting an app that is worth the one time $7. I only use it every now and then and even coughed up the money. lol

kpazzo6

Reaction score
i was looking for a similar free app but couldnt find one so i coughed up the $7. i honestly think its worth it!!

Caesars

Reaction score
Does foxfi work with jb?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

turnpike

Reaction score
i know foxfi forced the update on me 2 days ago, they would not allow the old version to connect saying it's "outdated". the $7 is really nothing when you consider the amount of data that we on unlimited use. it sucks that verizon is charging us to use the wifi adapter that is in our phones that we paid for. one would hope that someone else will come along to tell us non-rooted users how to hack the wifi adapter

Caesars

Reaction score
Once it works in jb ill probably just buy it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

turnpike

Reaction score
i used to use foxfi all the time so i can use my tablet and my laptop at the same time, but without the wireless ability can't use my tablet except in bluetooth mode which is aggravating in itself... maybe on payday i'll get the paid version...