Note 8 Wireless vs. Wired Charging

Marcial1219

Reaction score
Just received my Note 8 on Tuesday!

I've read that heat is one of the biggest enemies of your phone's battery.

One thing I've noticed when using Samsung wireless charging is that the phone stays warm even after being fully charged. When charging with a wire / cable, I notice that the phone immediately starts to cool off after the charge reaches 100%.

What is the general consensus on this issue? I like the general concept of wireless charging... it's easy to set phone on the stand while sitting at your desk, but I find that even Samsung's Fast Wireless Charging is much slower than using a wire.

I'm not sure that it's even worth using this feature.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I could have sworn I replied to this thread. must have forgotten to click on post reply again...

I never really had a problem with my wireless charging. never noticed any head difference between wire and wireless charging. I guess there could be issues depending on the quality of the wire/wireless equipment. I never read of any issues in any of the tech sites I regularly visit.

I have been using wireless for years without any issues, well, with the exception of that one time right after the nougat update. there are times the phone is warmer than normal but it has happened with both wire and wireless charging. as far as the phone cooling down faster after a wire charge - never noticed a difference.

if you do a forum search, there was a thread a couple weeks ago about the same thing.

OP
M

Marcial1219

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, trying leaving your phone on the wireless charger for a bit after it reaches 100% charge... it's still generating quite a bit of heat. Then try the same with a wired charger... the phone will be much cooler only a few minutes after reaching 100%.

I figured this out because I charge overnight on my bedside table. When I wake up in the morning, my phone is hot if it's been sitting on the wireless stand, but it's room temperature if I'm using the wire.

It's almost like the charging doesn't shut off when using wireless.

I've noticed this on my S7 and now on the Note 8.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Thanks! Yeah, trying leaving your phone on the wireless charger for a bit after it reaches 100% charge... it's still generating quite a bit of heat. Then try the same with a wired charger... the phone will be much cooler only a few minutes after reaching 100%.

I figured this out because I charge overnight on my bedside table. When I wake up in the morning, my phone is hot if it's been sitting on the wireless stand, but it's room temperature if I'm using the wire.

It's almost like the charging doesn't shut off when using wireless.

I've noticed this on my S7 and now on the Note 8.

what wireless stand? just checked my note 8 that is 100 percent charge and still on the wireless stand and it is cold. the same with the note 5 on another wireless stand.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I leave my phone overnight on wireless charger no heat at all in the morning..

Sent using Tapatalk

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
I use wireless on my S7. If it's not reached 100% & then I pick it up to use it, it feels warm, but not dangerously hot. First thing in the morning with 100% charge, mine is normal room temperature. When my N8 comes in, I'll keep an eye on it. And, I don't use Samsung wireless chargers either.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I use wireless on my S7. If it's not reached 100% & then I pick it up to use it, it feels warm, but not dangerously hot. First thing in the morning with 100% charge, mine is normal room temperature. When my N8 comes in, I'll keep an eye on it. And, I don't use Samsung wireless chargers either.

I am using the same wireless charger I got for my note 3 so it is not oem either :)