Note 4 update

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Just updated the software on my Note 4, I was really excited when I received the notification, wound it be marshmallow?

Nope, just a security patch on 5.0.1 to 5.1.1. :(

I wonder if my Note is going to get marshmallow?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just updated the software on my Note 4, I was really excited when I received the notification, wound it be marshmallow?

Nope, just a security patch on 5.0.1 to 5.1.1. :(

I wonder if my Note is going to get marshmallow?
Really? I jumped to 5.1 back in late January/early February or something like that. I'm on AT&T.
Last I read April for M on the Note4 but that was a few months back and could have changed.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
luddite

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
You're probably right Mark, this was my second Lollipop update so it may have been 5.1.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're probably right Mark, this was my second Lollipop update so it may have been 5.1.
I'd check the version number under Settings, About Device and see. The first was a stage fright security patch that changed the build number but not the version number. 5.1.1 has been being quietly pushed out for a while now. If memory serves its biggest benefit is addressing memory leaks and battery life. 5.0.1 broke the ability to use aftermarket data network toggles and 5.1.1 didn't address the issue and my AT&Tized Note4 has no stock data network toggle in the quick settings menu and hasn't since day 1 of the release of the phone. A real bummer at first but a widget on my Gear S works just fine for the same purpose.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got a second 5.1.1 update on my AT&T Note4. It was only 34MB do I'd say just another security patch. Took about 2 minutes for it to install then about 10 minutes more to "optimizing apps" and used about 20% of my battery.
I noticed "fingerprint scanner" area in phone settings but that might have been there before and I didn't notice it. The notes before I installed it said "performance enhancements and security update" and nothing more. I don't know what my old numbers were other than 5.1.1 either.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I just got a second 5.1.1 update on my AT&T Note4. It was only 34MB do I'd say just another security patch. Took about 2 minutes for it to install then about 10 minutes more to "optimizing apps" and used about 20% of my battery.
I noticed "fingerprint scanner" area in phone settings but that might have been there before and I didn't notice it. The notes before I installed it said "performance enhancements and security update" and nothing more. I don't know what my old numbers were other than 5.1.1 either.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I have had a single update on my Note 4 since the 5.1.1 update in Feb.... So much for frequent security updates... Actually I don't think I have had just a security update..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My Note 5 still hasn't been updated.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had a single update on my Note 4 since the 5.1.1 update in Feb.... So much for frequent security updates... Actually I don't think I have had just a security update..
I've gotten a few Samsung security updates. They are much less intrusive and act more like an app update than firmware.
My Note 5 still hasn't been updated.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Aren't you on AT&T as well?
Perhaps yours was already embedded. I show this
3eed12bbedf0c674058e446d5b43d74c.jpg
that I don't remember having before as well as the fingerprint thing I mentioned above.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've gotten a few Samsung security updates. They are much less intrusive and act more like an app update than firmware.

Aren't you on AT&T as well?
Perhaps yours was already embedded. I show this
3eed12bbedf0c674058e446d5b43d74c.jpg
that I don't remember having before as well as the fingerprint thing I mentioned above.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

I was referring to the more important update :p.

Actually I did not notice the security patch. I was looking at how I been running N for almost a month, VZW Note 5 been running 6.0.1 for almost a month, and the only update I have gotten from AT&T was about another fee they want to add.