Note 4, KitKat v Lollipop

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
I've had my Note 4 for 5 days now, it's running 4.4.4 and I also have a Nexus 5 running 5.0.1 and of the two I prefer the o/s on the Note.
When you guys have Lollipop roll out on your Note 4s I'd be interested to know if you prefer it to KitKat and why.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
We usually suggest you take the update as it has additional features and fixes.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Noted, but as some features that I use frequently have been removed I am reluctant to update to lollipop. :(
That's your choice. Keep in mind that most updates do include the latest security additions and fixes.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Keep in mind that the Nexus 5 lollipop and Note 4 lollipop will be different... You will have new lollipop features incorporated with Samsung features..

Tap'd by Big 6
This is the most important thing to note. Are you sure those features that you miss are stock android features, or are they samsung's TouchWiz features?

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Keep in mind that the Nexus 5 lollipop and Note 4 lollipop will be different... You will have new lollipop features incorporated with Samsung features..

Tap'd by Big 6

This is the most important thing to note. Are you sure those features that you miss are stock android features, or are they samsung's TouchWiz features?

+1. The TouchWiz is perhaps the most feature-laden of all the overlays to Android by any manufacturer, and so what you say were features to Android that had been lost in past updates may never have been incorporated into the pure vanilla Android initially but instead may have been part of the overlay. When these features change or are removed is the cell phone manufacturer who removes them either by choice or under pressure from the carriers.

Also, often times things that were overlay features eventually make it into the pure Android simply due to their popularity.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Panorama, blocking/priority mode...These & more were things that phone makers added that eventually became part of the core android experience.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Panorama, blocking/priority mode...These & more were things that phone makers added that eventually became part of the core android experience.

Exactly. A lot of the newest features were Motorola overlay or app features originally as well.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's the beauty of the ecosystem, though it can be a bit of a shock to move between manufacturer skins &/or pure vanilla android.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's the beauty of the ecosystem, though it can be a bit of a shock to move between manufacturer skins &/or pure vanilla android.

Couldn't agree more. Still, your other option is iOS and you could be totally dependent on one ecosystem. Given the choice to choose is what makes Android such a spectacular OS. Your choices are extremely diverse not just between manufacturers, but between various phones even within the same manufacturer and then there are custom launchers, and of course millions of apps, with a great percentage being free. And let's not forget rooting and custom ROMs which can actually blend vanilla Android with fancy launcher features AND manufacturers' specific overlay features to create a unique experience that can only be obtained presently with Android.

Still, I've found as time goes on that I much prefer the more vanilla Android over the heavily laden experience of Samsung. I have seen some features go away that I wish hadn't, but I've seen some come back, and I've seen far more new features I couldn't have dreamed having that have come with upgrades so I welcome the constant fine tuning and tweaking being done by the Google people, the manufacturers, and by the development community as a whole.

IMHO, I don't believe we have seen another ecosystem in any product or service that has become so incredibly powerful, useful, diverse and entertaining in the history of mankind as the innovation of the cell phone and the blending of cellular communications, photography and videography, personal assistant services, location based tools, family health, physical fitness, safety, home automation, education, social interaction and networking, productivity, employment flexibility, remote live video and computer project collaboration, video calling and conferencing, television, movie and music entertainment, gaming and I'm sure countless others I've overlooked, and let's not forget the internet which in and of itself brings with it infinite possibilities...all into one pocketable portable device.

It's great to be alive and experience this revolution in human interaction and watch the human creativity of the collective world blossom at warp speed!

Last edited:
OP
luddite

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+

Tap'd by Big 6
I'm aware of that, hence this thread. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm aware of that, hence this thread. :)

Yes, you are right. We did get off course a little bit. I don't have a Note 4 so I'm not one that can help with your original question. Perhaps we have some Note 4 users out there who can chime in?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well I'm a note 4 user who has lollipop on my tablet & I'm looking forward to getting it on my phone. Guess we'll see how happy I am when it finally comes.