Note 4 "Ok Google" not working properly?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
No, I am under strict orders not to purchase one until I get home. The wife wants to gift it to me. Aaaaand it's killing me. The Samsung store is one block away from me.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No, I am under strict orders not to purchase one until I get home. The wife wants to gift it to me. Aaaaand it's killing me. The Samsung store is one block away from me.
So what device are you having issues with now & s voice on?

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think they fight for dominancy. I just find it odd that one works fine from the lockscreen and the other works fine when the phone is unlocked.

I will poke this with a stick tomorrow with my Note 3 and Note Pro.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok so SVoice doesn't work on the home screen like Google does. I have to double click the Home button to launch it. I did find the setting that bypasses a pin locked lock screen however.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok so SVoice doesn't work on the home screen like Google does. I have to double click the Home button to launch it. I did find the setting that bypasses a pin locked lock screen however.
I disable s voice's "launch with home key" right away. Makes it return home a bit quicker.

By bypassing the lock screen, I assume you're referring to the settings in Google Now?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, the one in SVoice. The Voice Wake-up tab is selectable and it gives you the option to wake-up in secure lock.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No, the one in SVoice. The Voice Wake-up tab is selectable and it gives you the option to wake-up in secure lock.
Ok. This is weird. In Google now, instead of "from any app," I have "always on" again & an option for using with a locked screen.

WTF is going on here?!

Now:
1b8498c1acacf602c1473089d774252f.jpg

How it was after I cleared s voice:
aca87d9a307d02f83b1b5ada07aaf598.jpg

How it was when I started this thread (except the option was original available in my language as it is now):
0aaebccc875e2d399afa27b9f6c08433.jpg

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just went in to double-check and verify that the response I was about to type was correct and made sense and it had switched back. It still launches from the home screen and while I'm in Tapatalk though, which it wouldn't do before, so I'm not as worried about this as I could be.

I guess my assumption that they're messing around in the background to add this functionality must've been correct in some way.

Will have to toy around letting it be always listening to see if/how it affects battery life, though I'm forcing myself to use fingerprint unlock and I'm not sure I want to enable it to bypass the lockscreen just yet until I've had the chance to see exactly what can be done through it.

Very strange situation here...I don't even know what to say anymore. Haha!