Note 4 "Ok Google" not working properly?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
On my Note 3 it works on any screen everytime.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Once you activate s voice, with that "hi galaxy", the phone listens for that instead of "ok google ", so what you need to do is go to the s voice settings, and you have to clear the history as if you never opened it, it will tell you that if you want to use again, you will have to agree with the terms again,so say ok. Go back to your home screen, and say "ok google" and it should work.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What settings do you have?

Sent from my Note 4

On the first Google settings page I have "Audio History" turned on (it must be).

On the "OK Google Detection" settings page I have From Google Search App and From Any Screen check marked.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Once you activate s voice, with that "hi galaxy", the phone listens for that instead of "ok google ", so what you need to do is go to the s voice settings, and you have to clear the history as if you never opened it, it will tell you that if you want to use again, you will have to agree with the terms again,so say ok. Go back to your home screen, and say "ok google" and it should work.
Thinking you're right, because s Voice came up when I was trying to setup Google Now.

Side note: I turned S Voice off completely from the app drawer. Every time I opened the camera, it "crashed." I'm assuming that was S Voice anyway (com.vlingo or something. I know vlingo is a voice recognition app), because it stopped popping up when I turned it back on, but have all setting to launch it off.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
On the first Google settings page I have "Audio History" turned on (it must be).

On the "OK Google Detection" settings page I have From Google Search App and From Any Screen check marked.
Yeah. Instead of "from any screen," I had & the other poster still has "always listening" or something. Widths when the screen is off, but wouldn't work for me when it was on.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have the opposite problem. Since switching to Google my SVoice no longer wakes up when I say Hi Galaxy. It will only work if I double click the Home button.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have the opposite problem. Since switching to Google my SVoice no longer wakes up when I say Hi Galaxy. It will only work if I double click the Home button.
I wonder if you clear the settings and such on s voice, and set it up again now that you've got google setup, if it'd take control back.

Seems like that'd be a pain though, to have both of them listening and running at the same time. I tried a couple different times to force myself to use s voice. Never stuck. Google Now does everything I want it to do. If s voice had a personality, like siri or Cortana, I might be more inclined to use it instead, just for the entertainment value, but the more I use gn, the more it brings up information that's actually relative/useful. That, and I love me some google.
Also, it's nothing for me to turn the phone on and unlock the screen to get it to respond to my voice. The way I figure, it's quicker than it used to be to unlock the phone and launch the search app or type in the widget, but saves a little bit of extra battery by not constantly listening, hoping I'll say hello to it so it can wake up. I guess if you're constantly searching for things using your phone, might be handy to have it always on, but I search maybe once or twice a day, if that.

I don't use it much for texting, though I used it the other day to show my girlfriend how easy it was after having not used it for a LONG time, and it's gotten a lot better. Actually puts a period when I tell it period, instead of typing the word.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You should be able to use both Google & Svoice without a problem. On my S5, I have Google setup as default, but SVoice whenever I activate car mode. I prefer SVOICE while driving as it performs much better for certain tasks without taking your eyes of the road.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The only feature I like about SVoice is that it opens my apps. I'm not a big voice activated control person and usually just do it for kicks.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok so now SVoice will launch from a locked lockscreen and not respond to voice commands from the home screen.

Google will not respond from a locked lockscreen, but works everywhere else. Hah.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok so now SVoice will launch from a locked lockscreen and not respond to voice commands from the home screen.

Google will not respond from a locked lockscreen, but works everywhere else. Hah.
Shouldn't be so complicated...

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You should be able to use both Google & Svoice without a problem. On my S5, I have Google setup as default, but SVoice whenever I activate car mode. I prefer SVOICE while driving as it performs much better for certain tasks without taking your eyes of the road.

S5 tap'n
I don't travel enough for Thai to be an issue for me, but I can see your point.

Sent from my Note 4