Not sure whats going on with my Galaxy S2

djfetsch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-T989D)
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-T989D) and It had ~30% battery last night and when I woke up it was dead and now I can not turn it back on. If I hold the power button by itself or along with any other combination of buttons nothing happens for 10 seconds and then it starts vibrating until I let go of the button. The screen remains blank through this process and nothing shows up when it is plugged in either to an outlet or my computer. Also, my computer does not recognize that anything is in the USB port when it is plugged in.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Plug the phone into the original charger on the wall and leave it alone for 10-15min. After that it should boot up.

OP
D

djfetsch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Plug the phone into the original charger on the wall and leave it alone for 10-15min. After that it should boot up.
I have tried that. It's been plugged in and charging for over 8 hours now.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum!
If you've had this device since it came out, it may simply need a new battery. They are relatively inexpensive these days, around 10-15 bucks for an OEM replacement for this particular model. You might try that first and then we can go from there. Have you dropped the device or has it gotten wet? Has it been performing fine before this started happening?
Hang in there and we'll do our best to get you fixed up.

S5 tap'n

OP
D

djfetsch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Welcome to the forum!
If you've had this device since it came out, it may simply need a new battery. They are relatively inexpensive these days, around 10-15 bucks for an OEM replacement for this particular model. You might try that first and then we can go from there. Have you dropped the device or has it gotten wet? Has it been performing fine before this started happening?
Hang in there and we'll do our best to get you fixed up.

S5 tap'n
The phone should still boot up and I should be able to turn it on when it is plugged into the wall or my PC even without a battery right? And no I have not dropped it or gotten it wet. Like I said, It had a charge and I carefully set it on a table where I left it until morning where I then discovered I could not turn it on. The phone is old and it's a bit slow with a shorter battery life than most phones but overall it was performing fine up until then.

johnmethew

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Q B30
There is nothing to worries about that if such thing happened first time then remove your battery once and put it back then charge your device I hope you will be got the better result

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, you could try a ten minute battery pull and see if that "resets" things.
If that doesn't work I would try a battery replacement.
Have you tried booting into your stock recovery?
Press and hold ‘Volume Up + Home + Power’ buttons together and release them as soon as you see the Galaxy S2 logo on your phone’s screen. From there you can try and clear your cache and reboot. You can also do a factory data reset, but keep in mind this will wipe your data (contacts, pictures, misc files etc) so unless you already have this stuff backed up to your external sd card or other external source, be careful there. But a factory reset may be just what the Dr ordered. Here's an external link with more detailed instructions on booting into recovery and navigating around the menus contained within.
How to Boot Into Samsung Galaxy S2 Recovery Mode

Your other option would be to find a local cell phone repair facility. Most cities have quite a few of them these days. Perhaps they could do a quick hardware troubleshoot for you to see if your device has simply reached the end of it's life.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n