Not able to play videos (MMS) received

r8rfan1010

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone else not able to play videos sent via SMS/MMS? I had a friend of mine who is also on Verizon Wireless take a video at the bowling alley and send it to me as an MMS. I received it and although it looks like a video with the icon and when I click on the icon I can see the timer running on the bottom for as long as the video was but it only shows me a still picture (Jpg) but does not play the movie. I checked their phone and the video plays fine (although they have a regular non-smartphone). Videos were able to be received and played fine when I was using a different ROM before upgrading to MIUI. I love MIUI but and I hope that it's something that I or one of the developers can fix to get them to play successfully.

Thanks in advance.

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem.. I bet you are running a modded Mms.apk?? There are some floating around that won't play video. I had to find a stock one and live with it.... you can try to load a stock one or switch roms to find one that works....

mikecolorama

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem.. I bet you are running a modded Mms.apk?? There are some floating around that won't play video. I had to find a stock one and live with it.... you can try to load a stock one or switch roms to find one that works....
do you have a link to the one that you are using

undroath2death

Reaction score
i had the same problem, i really like the mms themes and didnt want to mess with replacing the whole. apk, so kept the miui mms.apk and i just downloaded handcent and turned off all notifications from the app. So now i just use handcent to play or download any mms but use the stock mms for everything else

OP
R

r8rfan1010

Reaction score
So you use the stock MMS app and only use Handcent for any mms received? how do you have your settings, if you don't mind me asking. I know you told me but anyway you can put them into layman's terms for ignorant me? LOL

undroath2death

Reaction score
haha its fine, yes i use the stock mms for sending pics/videos and whatnot but when i receive a video or pic, to save it i just open up handcent and download it. the settings in handcent i use pretty much make it feel like handcent isn't installed at all. so under settings/notification settings within handcent i have the popup disabled and status bar notifications disabled as well, that way only the stock mms will let me know when i have recieved a message.

OP
R

r8rfan1010

Reaction score
I was using Handcent as my default sms/mms messenger and I was not able to get the video to play using Handcent. It would appear to be playing but instead of the video playing, it would only show a still (JPG) for the duration of the video (while I watched the progress bar move along)

undroath2death

Reaction score
hmmm weird, it works for me, idk maybe replacing the miui mms with the stock mms is ur best bet =/ i do wish that this issue with the miui mms.apk would finally be addressed tho

OP
R

r8rfan1010

Reaction score
Yeah, me too. I tried to ask the question in the IRQ live chat website and some guy on there with the screen name of "parabola" got really nasty with me and told me that "if I didn't freak out about it and just thought a little before asking any questions that I could fix it myself". I am not a developer so was asking people's advice. I appreciate your help for sure though.