Noon needs help

A509_1980

Reaction score
Noob needs help

:greendroid::heart:I want to root my d2 using the z4root method? Can somebody point me in the right direction as to where to download the files I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

deejay1111

Reaction score
Try this...
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Scroll down to the bottom of the OP and click to download z4root.1.3.0.apk (you will need a login for xda forum to do this)

You will need an app to install this. I use AppInstaller by FunTrigger (Free in market)
Go to Settings/Applications and make sure the box next to Unknown Sources is checked.
Plug your phone into your computer, pull down notification window on phone and click USB Connection, and select USB Mass Storage. On your computer click view files and folders. I created a folder on the root of my SD card to put APKs into so I could find them easier. Drag the z4root file you downloaded into this folder to copy it to your SD card, and disconnect your phone from your computer.
Now using AppInstaller, navigate to the folder you copied the apk to, click to open it, then click the z4root.apk. This will open a window similar to what you see when you download an app from the Market. Click Install.
Now all you have to do is open z4root and click permanent root (if you want it to stay rooted) and it will run, then you should be rooted.

At this point I would highly recommend getting Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap from Clockwork Mod on the market and creating a backup of your phone. Definitely worth the money and will make your rooted life easier.

A good guide to get you started...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...asy-guide-rooting-backup-rom-flashing-d2.html

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
@deejay1111, now I hate to bash an app, but why would you install an app to install apps when your phone can already do this on its own with out a third party app that doesnt offer any more advanced functionality then the package installer embedded in android. :s Besides, it looks like spyware to me. I see no reason the app needs access to location data or even internet access. I personally would remove it based on the permissions alone, never mind the fact it just wastes space. I looked at a few of that devs apps, and they all had the location based service permission, but why would an MP3 tagger need to know your location for example?

Requirements - Install Dropbox on your PC and your Phone.

Download the z4root.apk.
Place it in your dropbox folder on your pc.
Launch dropbox on your phone.
Download the apk to your phone.
Depending on what apps you have installed you may need to choose "package manager," otherwise it will go directly to a page asking you if you want to install it.
Click Install.
All done.

Now you can launch z4root from your app drawer.

Last edited:

deejay1111

Reaction score
@deejay1111, now I hate to bash an app, but why would you install an app to install apps when your phone can already do this on its own with out a third party app that doesnt offer any more advanced functionality then the package installer embedded in android. :s Besides, it looks like spyware to me. I see no reason the app needs access to location data or even internet access. I personally would remove it based on the permissions alone, never mind the fact it just wastes space. I looked at a few of that devs apps, and they all had the location based service permission, but why would an MP3 tagger need to know your location for example?

Requirements - Install Dropbox on your PC and your Phone.

Download the z4root.apk.
Place it in your dropbox folder on your pc.
Launch dropbox on your phone.
Download the apk to your phone.
Depending on what apps you have installed you may need to choose "package manager," otherwise it will go directly to a page asking you if you want to install it.
Click Install.
All done.

Now you can launch z4root from your app drawer.

Although I disagree that the developer's app is spyware, I do see your point as it relates to this being unnecessary with no added benefits. I originally used this app on my Ally running Eclair which I believe did not include an easy to use file manager which was later introduced with Froyo. The method you presented is a viable option, or you can install the apk from your sd card using the built in File Manager, which I have discovered does the exact same thing as AppInstaller thanks to you ;0p