Nokia's CEO Regarding Low Sales: Android Wins

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

I’m sure many of you remember when Nokia’s CEO had nothing good to say about Android? Well apparently no one listened to him and Android is still manhandling him across China and Europe. According to word of mouth, Nokia’s CEO, on a conference call said a few things about why they aren’t doing so hot in the two most important markets. According to the story; in china, he blames mismanagement for his failed attempt at pushing phones and in Europe, he admits Android is running the streets.

Before we get to the quotes, we just want to remind you that we do feel sorry for the competition but Droid FTW.

Here are the exact quotes:

Regarding China, Elop said:

As it relates to competitive challenges, it is the case that certain competitive forces, particularly Android, are really gaining momentum in certain regions. For example in China, there’s an indication of some very substantial movement in the growth of market share for Android, particularly in some technology areas where Nokia today with our current portfolio doesn’t compete.
A good example of this is the CDMA technology in China, where that technology has seen quite an increase in market share in China. And as you know, we don’t currently have CDMA products, but clearly, that’s something that we’d be considering in the future. So there’s some dynamics like that that we have to deal with.
And in Europe, Android was also routing Nokia. Elop noted:
In Europe, that’s not the case on the management perspective. It’s very much about competitive pressures. We’re seeing, for example, a large volume of Android devices really coming into the market. They’re largely undifferentiated from one another, which is putting pricing pressure thereupon, which in turn affects the overall ranging decisions of the operators; so there’s definitely pricing pressure going on.
Meanwhile, the problems in China revolve around smartphones primarily. However, Nokia
is getting whacked on feature phones too. Elop said:

Overall, it is worth noting that the impact here is both smartphone and feature phone. So this is — even though a lot of the news has been about Symbian and so forth, we face very specific competitive pressures on the feature phone side as well, and face some of the same portfolio challenges here.
Now that being said, on the feature phone side we are just in the last couple of days beginning to ship in our dual-SIM products into emerging markets, which we have great hopes for. So there’s a lot of positive things happening there, but there’s definitely a situation here where it’s not only the Symbian range of devices but also feature phone devices that are under competitive pressure.

via:Nokia's Elop: Android is killing us in China, Europe | ZDNet

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nokia, I dont think its too late to throw some attention Android's way. Put ego's aside and get it done.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't want to pee on myself to stay warm.. oh wait isn't that what was said about Android.. Guess Nokia is second guessing themselves now. WIN7 phones look great.. good luck trying to push them out now that Android has saturated the market.. Of course that was once said about Nokia and Symbian, so best of luck to them.. i guess..

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bummer for Nokia. Looks like the ceo is second guessing himself. Maybe Steve Ballmer can give him a hug?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Told 'em so! Geeze, didn't even have to be a mind-reader for that!

For a while I had hoped for a E71 model running Android. It was a great piece of hardware but it had a real dopey OS, plus the screen was way too small.

Now I'll never have a phone with a screen smaller than 4".

Android all the way baby!