Nokia Android Phone Development was Meant to Spur Sale to Microsoft

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nokia-normandy.jpg

Previously we reported that Nokia had been working on an Android phone prototype before Microsoft decided to swoop in and buy the company. For a while since the announcement of the deal between Microsoft and Nokia there has been media speculation of some sort of "conspiracy" suggesting that former Microsoft employee turned Nokia CEO, Stephen Elop, had been working with Microsoft to devalue Nokia so that Microsoft could buy it up at a cheaper price. A new report now suggests that the opposite might have been true. Apparently, Nokia share-holders really wanted Microsoft to save the floundering phone OEM and did everything they could to instigate the sale.

In fact, if this report is true, the Nokia Android prototypes were a a "scare tactic" designed to spur Microsoft into getting off the fence. This low-end Nokia Android device was codenamed Normandy and was simply developed as leverage to facilitate the merger. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Normandy may be the device that Nokia used to bludgeon Microsoft into buying both smartphone and feature phone operations.

Once Nokia had reached the decision to unload its smartphone unit, it was crucial for the company to also find a simultaneous buyer for the low-end feature phone unit. Only that way could Nokia start getting aggressive on pressing its patent claims on rival handset vendors. Exiting phone business completely meant Nokia no longer needed cross-licensing deals that dilute its IP revenue.

Since feature phones face the possibility of imminent sales collapse sometime in 2014 or 2015, finding a buyer for only the budget phone unit was always going to be extremely hard, if not impossible. That meant Microsoft was the only plausible buyer for the low-end handsets.

Normandy may have been a weapon. It may have been the strategic threat used to demonstrate to Microsoft that Nokia was on track to begin Android phone adoption if Microsoft would not play ball.

The above pic of the Nokia Android Normandy was leaked recently by the famed leaker @evleaks, which gives us the first real glimpse of the device. What do you guys think? Is it possible all of this maneuvering between the two companies was planned by Nokia rather than Microsoft?

Source: BGR

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
A high end Nokia Android phone would be a real contender in this market, especially for those of us tired of Samsung Galaxy Blah Blah devices.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Microsoft is a good backer in that they have cash to keep anything afloat, but Nokia has missed out in the long-term by maneuvering as they have. HTC isn't a perfect example, though at least with them we can see a company who focuses on Android but still provides well-built Windows devices. Does having the best camera available on a smartphone matter when that's your only selling point? I hate Windows 8 and I certainly don't want to have to look at live tiles all day on my phone. At least Nokia isn't in Blackberry/RIM straights, but I just can't see them turning a reasonable profit anytime soon when Windows devices are their only way to reach the consumer.

Heck, maybe I'm wrong and some day Windows phones will be the go to, simple device. For now, however, there's nothing Nokia brings to the table to get most people to look their way. Great looking hardware and an amazing camera all wrapped around a package that does nothing for most consumers, nor for the techies who make recommendations to the average buyer.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Windows Phone 8 is beautiful, however if I was going to another ecosystem, it would most likely be Apple. Since I'm both an Android and Apple home, I'm not going anywhere. Microsoft didn't give much confidence in their mobile OS platform, when they abandoned Windows Phone 7 (and 7.5).