Nokia is Launching a $250 Android Tablet Called the N1

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Even though Microsoft acquired Nokia's phone division, they didn't actually acquire the Nokia brand name, and Nokia is still in the business of producing tech hardware. Now that the Finnish company is off of Microsoft's leash, they have already begun making products for the competition. Nokia is building an Android tablet called the N1 that will supposedly retail for $250 USD.

Nokia's N1 will first launch in China February19, 2015, and no specifics were given for a launch anywhere else. Here's a breakdown of known specs:
  • 6.9mm thick one-piece aluminum frame (dark grey or silver)
  • 8-megapixel camera on the back and a 5-megapixel camera on the front
  • 32GB of storage
  • USB Type-C socket which is a reversible USB port that allows you to attach the plug in either way.
  • 2.4GHz Intel Atom quad-core processor - 64-bit chip
  • Android version unknown at this time
What do you guys think? Could Nokia rise from the dead on the back of Android devices? It would be a hilarious turn of events if it did.

Source: CNET

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
It takes 3 tries to insert a USB plug; first try, flip it over and try, then look at the plug to get it right. Yay for type C. Finally someone got it right.

We must...We must...increase our boost

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I joined this forum shortly after buying the OG Droid, and have since enjoyed the cool and sometimes bumpy ride known as the world of Android devices. One thing I've learned is that many, many, many companies say they're GOING to release a product and never do, or release something categorically lower-tiered than what they promised. (Probably my first ride on that bucking bronco was Notion Ink's Adam.)

I realize Nokia ain't no Notion Ink, but this smells of vaporware. I call fake. I bet $10 we never see this device stateside, and if we do, no way it sells the way it's listed for $250. No way.

David, I saw you used the word "supposedly." Great minds think alike. ;)

-Matt

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Put a fork in them.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I joined this forum shortly after buying the OG Droid, and have since enjoyed the cool and sometimes bumpy ride known as the world of Android devices. One thing I've learned is that many, many, many companies say they're GOING to release a product and never do, or release something categorically lower-tiered than what they promised. (Probably my first ride on that bucking bronco was Notion Ink's Adam.)

I realize Nokia ain't no Notion Ink, but this smells of vaporware. I call fake. I bet $10 we never see this device stateside, and if we do, no way it sells the way it's listed for $250. No way.

David, I saw you used the word "supposedly." Great minds think alike. ;)

-Matt
I'll take that bet...

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Damn...my bluff been called... ;) Guess I'll stand!

-Matt

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
But, will it bend?

Seriously though, it seems kinda mid-range at best. Granted, I haven't priced tablets in a while, but none of those specs jump at me as being worth the extra cost versus a Nexus 7 or comparable priced/spec'd tablet.

Anyone seen screen size on this thing yet? I didn't see it in any of the articles/tweets that I skimmed about it yesterday.

It takes 3 tries to insert a USB plug; first try, flip it over and try, then look at the plug to get it right. Yay for type C. Finally someone got it right.

We must...We must...increase our boost

Samsung got it right on the Note 4. 2 raised lines on the "top" side of the connector. If it feels smooth to the thumb, flip it over, plug in, done.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
But, will it bend?

Seriously though, it seems kinda mid-range at best. Granted, I haven't priced tablets in a while, but none of those specs jump at me as being worth the extra cost versus a Nexus 7 or comparable priced/spec'd tablet.

Anyone seen screen size on this thing yet? I didn't see it in any of the articles/tweets that I skimmed about it yesterday.

Samsung got it right on the Note 4. 2 raised lines on the "top" side of the connector. If it feels smooth to the thumb, flip it over, plug in, done.
Screen is 7.9"

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'll take that bet...
Though I should warn you that I keep a list of my gadget predictions and always return to the thread to gloat about it when my forecasts come true! All 2 of them. LOL

-Matt

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That's good news. I'll expect to see you back here with my 10 bucks...lol

Have you seen this thread?

Nokia N1 Android 5.0 Lollipop Tablet Officially Launches Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Wow, thank goodness I didn't offer to "eat my hat/shoes/something made of leather"!

Nope, haven't checked out the N1 subforum yet...you're not implying that a forum makes it more likely to materialize? o_O Any way, remember all bets are off if you pick up an Asian model (no pun intended!). I was specifically forecasting...$250...US...specs as stated.

-Matt

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Wow, thank goodness I didn't offer to "eat my hat/shoes/something made of leather"!

Nope, haven't checked out the N1 subforum yet...you're not implying that a forum makes it more likely to materialize? o_O Any way, remember all bets are off if you pick up an Asian model (no pun intended!). I was specifically forecasting...$250...US...specs as stated.

-Matt
No worries. You will see it in the US. 'll let you off the hook as I knew about the launch when I took your bet.
As for an Asian model.. I'm married to one....

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Seems like the right time to revive the thread and see if the N1 is coming.

Nokia N1 tablet release date set for U.S. and Europe soon after China success Christian News on Christian Today
Nokia N1 tablet Hands On Release Date Price Specs Etc Digital Trends

Interesting quote from that second report:
Currently only for sale in China, the N1 costs an extremely tempting $250, which is $100 less than the equivalent iPad Mini 2. Nokia told us it may sell the N1 outside China in the future, but couldn’t give us even an approximate date, although it hopes to make an announcement soon.

Nokia told us it may sell the N1 outside China... "may sell"???? Sounds pretty vague to me. :rolleyes:

-Matt

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Nokia will always have a place in my heart due to the indestructible phones they used to make. I would like to see the same build quality in their new devices. I realize that might be a pipe dream but anything is possible.