Nokia CEO On Google + Motorola Deal

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
steve.jpeg

The recent purchase of Motorola by Google has brought out a few choice words from Nokia's CEO-- Steven Elop. While at an almost unrelated seminar in Helinski, the CEO was quoted as saying the following:
"If I happened to be someone who was an Android manufacturer or an operator, or anyone with a stake in that environment, I would be picking up my phone and calling certain executives at Google and say, ‘I see signs of danger ahead.’ The very first reaction I had was very clearly the importance of the third ecosystem and the importance of the partnership that we announced on February 11, it is more clear than ever."
Nokia seems to have all their balls in one bag with Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 and we've read many quotes from the former Microsoft employee against Android powering their Nokia phones, but could he be right? Could Google owning Motorola be a bad sign for Android’s quad-team-of-winners (HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony Ericsson)? Respond below.

Via: Phandroid

nikecar

Reaction score
Is the third ecosystem like the 5th dimension?

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
First line pretty much summed it up perfectly! "The CEO of the onceimportant phone manufacturer " I stopped reading it there. Bottom line here is; Nokia is taking a knife to a gun fight and it's just pathetic. IF they were in the ring with the rest, then OK say something. Here in this case; STFU Nokia noone cares what you have to say about anything.dancedroid

deaf leppy

Reaction score
Where they don't have spacebars...

I was going to say the same thing.. Or proper punctuation.

Anyway, I don't think the merge would is that big of a deal to other manufacturers. Motorola still has to bid on the Nexus phone, so I'm sure Google isn't going to be pushing straight from them. They would lose too much.

Beardface

Reaction score
He's saying what all the other Android manufacturers are thinking. This is a deal that is very good for Moto and Google, and potentially very bad for everyone else. How could you, as CEO of Samsung or HTC, see the maker of the OS you run on your devices buy out and merge with your primary rival, who is also operating that same OS, and not be extremely worried about your future prospects? Google didn't just spend $12Billion on Moto to keep them at the same level with the same competitive balance as Samsung and HTC going forward on the Android platform.

Yeah, if I were HTC, Samsung, LG, etc, I'd already be engaging in internal studies and discussions about options they have outside of Android to continue the high profits they have seen.

kyler13

Reaction score
Yeah, if I were HTC, Samsung, LG, etc, I'd already be engaging in internal studies and discussions about options they have outside of Android to continue the high profits they have seen.

I heard they called the 2 minute meeting about their options (Windows Phone) and when the laughter subsided, they just stuck to their current roadmap.

Look, Samsung and HTC are the two biggest reasons for Android's popularity worldwide. Google isn't going to jeopardize that. Besides, this acquisition probably did more to address key concerns over the rising litigation tide against Android and put the partners more at ease.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
He's saying what all the other Android manufacturers are thinking. This is a deal that is very good for Moto and Google, and potentially very bad for everyone else. How could you, as CEO of Samsung or HTC, see the maker of the OS you run on your devices buy out and merge with your primary rival, who is also operating that same OS, and not be extremely worried about your future prospects? Google didn't just spend $12Billion on Moto to keep them at the same level with the same competitive balance as Samsung and HTC going forward on the Android platform.

Whats kills me is Nokia is in the same boat, even more than Motorola cuz MS already said Nokia can do things to WP7....basically giving Nokia preferential treatment. So what is it...he doesnt want Samsung, HTC, LG, etc being in the same boat they're in with WP7 right now?

I dont get it.

Reaction score
From what I have seen with Google is yes, they want to make money, however, they are more interested in a "One Google World". Meaning, they want everything to be based off a Google and Google platforms. Therefore, I believe they would still give the same treatment to the other manufactures as before, because what Google really wants is World Domination, and they can't do that by hurting relations and pushing manufactures to another OS. Eventually what I see is the purchase of HTC on the horizon as well.

aayoo

Reaction score
Google took a loss in purchasing Motorola Mobility, it's going to take years to make back what they've spent in acquiring Motorola Mobility. Google wanted the milk(motorola's patents), but Motorola made them buy the whole cow and for a hefty price. Google knew Motorola and it's DROID campaign on verizon did wonders for the resurgence of the Android OS. Google won't be purchasing any other manufacturers anytime soon if ever.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I heard they called the 2 minute meeting about their options (Windows Phone) and when the laughter subsided, they just stuck to their current roadmap.

Look, Samsung and HTC are the two biggest reasons for Android's popularity worldwide. Google isn't going to jeopardize that. Besides, this acquisition probably did more to address key concerns over the rising litigation tide against Android and put the partners more at ease.

I think they already jeopardized it though. Its a $12B investment. I see no way they can not favor Motorola somehow...the shareholders are gonna wanna know they made a good investment, and one of the shareholders has already sued them haha...I think it's in Google's best interest to actually favor Motorola and move away from the "We want harmony" stuff...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
But it's not harmony that they want, it's world domination...

haha ok that too...i mean $12B is not a small amount to Google...that's a significant portion of their business. I know they have to say that everything will remain the same, but I see no logical way that would be the case.