No way to turn off caller ID. Driving me crazy

hahnwald

Reaction score
After the last update to Android 4.1.1, my RAZR M announces all incoming calls. I have checked all settings in sound and accessibility. None are checked and I have spent 2 hours talking to Verizon's technical support without resolution to my issue. It is extremely annoying. Other than a factory reset, what else might I try. The phone is new so I have few apps-weather, currency conversion, and a spam control so I don't think it's an ap conflict. What else? Thank you

Bacchus224

Reaction score
Have you gone to the phone screen and then clicked the menu button and selected settings?

Scroll down to caller ID readout. That's how I turn my readout on.

OP
H

hahnwald

Reaction score
Need help turning off caller ID

Thanks for the reply. Under the droid release I have, caller ID is under the accessibility choices within the settings menu. Talkback is off and within the settings under it, speak caller ID is not checked.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Ok I am not sure where it is on the Droid M but look for Car Mode or Driving Mode and make sure that is OFF.... I know a TON of people who had this issue with the S3... For some reason that turns on with the JB update....

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
On my Razr M, caller ID readout is located in the settings of the stock phone app. Select ring only.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

OP
H

hahnwald

Reaction score
Can't turn off caller ID

Ok I am not sure where it is on the Droid M but look for Car Mode or Driving Mode and make sure that is OFF.... I know a TON of people who had this issue with the S3... For some reason that turns on with the JB update....

Thanks so much for this suggestion. My version of Android doesn't seem to have either car mode or driving mode.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Double check these locations and verify......Pull down the notification bar, scroll toward the right side of the toggles and make sure Driving mode is turned off. Alternative method - Settings / Language and input / Text-to-speech output / Driving Mode (off)

razrron

Reaction score
I also have a Razr M running 4.1.1. Unfortunately none of the suggestions work thus far including setting to ring [only] and so many other suggestions. Text-to Speech Output under Language & Input / Speech only has two options "settings for Google text-to-speech' and 'install voice data'. Driving mode isn't there. Text-to-speech is also available under Accessibility and the only options there are Speech rate and Listen to an example. Smart Actions does have a 'Drive' feature but that is off. I've rebooted after trying different suggestions but nothing works so far.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
For talking caller ID, open the stock phone app, go to its settings (three vertical dots near the top right), scroll down to “Caller ID readout" and select ring only.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

razrron

Reaction score
Thanks but the phone app / settings / caller ID Readout / was set to 'ring only' but it didn't stop the talking ID. I've thought that it might be related to another app that is overriding the phone settings. For example, I removed Skyvi but that didn't help either.

razrron

Reaction score
Talking ID problem Solved! I "unplugged" SmartActions / Drive / Announce calls and texts. Even though this "Manual Action" was (and is) turned off, by unplugging the Announce calls..., it stopped the announcements. Finally.

OP
H

hahnwald

Reaction score
How do I do this?

Talking ID problem Solved! I "unplugged" SmartActions / Drive / Announce calls and texts. Even though this "Manual Action" was (and is) turned off, by unplugging the Announce calls..., it stopped the announcements. Finally.

How do I do this? Thanks

razrron

Reaction score
SmartActions

How do I do this? Thanks

To "unplug" the triggers or options in the SmartActions app, go to the 'My Manual Actions' and click on 'Drive'. Then slide the 'Announce calls and texts' to the right (note it is plugged in when slid to the left). Also, and I just noticed this, ensure the 'My Smart Actions' / 'Announce calls and texts' Action under Battery Saver is also unplugged (i.e., slide to the right). I had to take that action also otherwise I would get announcements during the day.

mollycule

Reaction score
Still nothing...

Hi! I'm glad this forum is recent, as I'm having the same issue...
I just got a Droid RAZR M last month, with 4.1.1 Jellybean. Same for me, most of those settings in solutions provided earlier don't exist in 4.1.1.
I also checked SmartActions - I don't even have the Drive one turned on, and I checked the Battery Saver, it's not even under the Actions section - I would have to add it. However, I can't find any "My Manual Actions" section.
Any other places I can find the option to turn it off? I've already checked in Accessibility to make sure Talkback was turned off.

OP
H

hahnwald

Reaction score
Still driving me crazy

Hi! I'm glad this forum is recent, as I'm having the same issue...
I just got a Droid RAZR M last month, with 4.1.1 Jellybean. Same for me, most of those settings in solutions provided earlier don't exist in 4.1.1.
I also checked SmartActions - I don't even have the Drive one turned on, and I checked the Battery Saver, it's not even under the Actions section - I would have to add it. However, I can't find any "My Manual Actions" section.
Any other places I can find the option to turn it off? I've already checked in Accessibility to make sure Talkback was turned off.

I keep hoping someone will come up with a fix. I started this post and still have the problem. I have been through every setting very carefully. Like you, I do (did) not have SmartActions installed. My husband has the identical phone ( we got them in the same shipment) and I have matched his settings against mine. He does not have the problem. I believe we need a fix from Jellybean.