No Sim card error

LOUROK

Reaction score
For some reason my phone is not reading the sim card. This happened 2 days ago after I did the 2.3.6 ota. Took it to verizon, and it worked fine. Now its giving me the same error.

The sim card is in the phone, but the phone is showing that the sim card has been removed. This error does not allow me to use any data on the phone at all or make calls. I'm going back to verizon tonight to get this looked at again. Last time I was at verizon when this first happened they said they may have to replace my phone. I'll keep this post updated.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
For some reason my phone is not reading the sim card. This happened 2 days ago after I did the 2.3.6 ota. Took it to verizon, and it worked fine. Now its giving me the same error.

The sim card is in the phone, but the phone is showing that the sim card has been removed. This error does not allow me to use any data on the phone at all or make calls. I'm going back to verizon tonight to get this looked at again. Last time I was at verizon when this first happened they said they may have to replace my phone. I'll keep this post updated.

Here's something to try...boot into Safe Mode.

First, hard power the phone off (hold Power button AND Down Volume until phone shuts down).

Then quickly remove and reinsert the SIM card.

Then while rebooting, as soon as you see the RED "M" logo (or shortly thereafter), press and hold BOTH VOLUME UP AND DOWN. Don't let go until you see the lock screen.

The phone will now be in Safe Mode and will work normally, however (it is supposed to) NOT load ANY user-installed apps. If the problem is resolved, then reboot and see if the card is still being recognized. If so, then the problem was a glitch. If not, then there may be something installed that is working against the SIM card authentication.

OP
L

LOUROK

Reaction score
^^^

Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it.

Went to Verizon last night and they gave me a new sim card and so far the phone seems to be working fine.
If i have any further issues I will follow the directions above and post my results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Kimo91

Reaction score
Only thing I noticed since the last update is when I reboot my phone I get a SIM card removed error, but data does not get dropped or anything just a quick message up top and goes away

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
^^^

Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it.

Went to Verizon last night and they gave me a new sim card and so far the phone seems to be working fine.
If i have any further issues I will follow the directions above and post my results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I've been told by senior level technicians at Verizon's call center, that replacing the sim card is a placebo effect. The sim card contains information that lets the towers and the switches know you have a valid and activated data plan with 4G connectivity. The information contained is written to the SIM card much the same way you write data to a SD card. Once its there, unless the card somehow gets corrupted it will continue to provide the same authentification data every time.

He explained there is still a known issue with the RAZRs and some other phones as well that instead of dropping from 4G to 3G as expected and maintaining connection, it will actually drop to 1X (even though the phone may still show either 4G or 3G) and the bars will be white. Once it's in 1X mode, it is unable to move back up the protocols to either 3G or 4G. Once the towers and switches see the phone on 1X they stop sending the phone the command to climb back up to either 3G or 4G, so the phone gets stuck in that mode.

He also explained that the Verizon stores are now being instructed to not replace the SIM cards unless they can confirm the actual card has failed. If the phone will get data even ONCE with the existing card, then the card is ruled out as the cause of the problem since the data is either there or not, and doesn't somehow disappear only to reappear later. This is Static Flash RAM, so it's pretty much rock solid or it doesn't work at all. In other words, don't be surprised if the "new" SIM card seems to present with the same problems as the "old" one did.

Replacing the SIM card, can resolve the problem, but that's purely a result of the card being pulled and replaced, and of the towers getting the accurate state of the phone before it drops back to 1X again. The same effect can be gotten by simply cycling the 3G/4G radios. I found Data Enabler by FARPROC to be most effective at this. Any time I have a "White state" on my phone, I tap the app widget, the green light goes out, the 3G or 4G icon disappears, then I tap the widget again and the process reverses, and eventually within seconds, the "White state" turns to "Blue state" and I have data connectivity again.

Billyd

Reaction score
Once again I like the way you explain things. ')

I finally got my Razr back up after being down for a month, and had to go to VZW for a new sim card. All that was no problem and all was well until the OTA notice came in and I let it do 2 upgrades I had apparently missed. After which it wouldn't accept my acct pw after several attempts. So I found the "Airplane Mode" work around and grabbed LockMenu as was suggested by the XDA post. It works quite well to the point that it doesn't bother me at all unless I have to power down for some reason.

But after dealing with it again here I am thinking I must have missed something because I don't see much on it any more. So after reading this post I think I will give this method a shot and see if I can find a perm solution.

Also with the explanation of the towers and the protocol priority etc. it seems that it might even help to make sure your in a good space as far as signal strength which may have something to do with this problem. If I have any better luck in a total fix I'll certainly report back.

And again, Many thanks
X/BillyD..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Once again I like the way you explain things. ')

I finally got my Razr back up after being down for a month, and had to go to VZW for a new sim card. All that was no problem and all was well until the OTA notice came in and I let it do 2 upgrades I had apparently missed. After which it wouldn't accept my acct pw after several attempts. So I found the "Airplane Mode" work around and grabbed LockMenu as was suggested by the XDA post. It works quite well to the point that it doesn't bother me at all unless I have to power down for some reason.

But after dealing with it again here I am thinking I must have missed something because I don't see much on it any more. So after reading this post I think I will give this method a shot and see if I can find a perm solution.

Also with the explanation of the towers and the protocol priority etc. it seems that it might even help to make sure your in a good space as far as signal strength which may have something to do with this problem. If I have any better luck in a total fix I'll certainly report back.

And again, Many thanks
X/BillyD..

Thank you sir, for the complement. I do try to be as thorough as possible, but at the same time be careful not to insult anyone's intelligence or their knowledge base. In such a diverse pool of users from ALL walks of life, I could be talking to a NASA Radio Communications Engineer and think I am communicating with a 16-year old. :blink: (No insult intended for the 16-year olds!! LOL!)

Also, there is one BIG upgrade looming in the wings (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/203999-rumor-ics-coming-razr-maxx-rezound-next-week.html), and has been confirmed by many that a soak test notification has gone out to them, so your problems may be short-lived. Let's keep hoping this will resolve all the radio problems but please don't blame just Motorola and the RAZR, this is a Verizon problem as much as (if not more than) it is a Motorola problem.

The two are independent product or service providers in one sense, but are a close-knit team in the other. Without 100% compatibility on both fronts, there are bound to be problems. Thing is, Motorola has to make their phone to be compatible with many carriers, whereas Verizon gets to dictate what their system will handle. And when Verizon decides to update equipment or firmware, it becomes the hardware manufacturers' task to realign their equpiment to communicate. One minor change to their communication towers could result in major problems for the end users. This may actually be at the root of the issue for some who have had the problem go away only to have it return again with no changes to the phone.

I am very interested to see how ICS fairs with us, and from what I am hearing on the private grapevines (those who already have it), the software/firmware upgrade is a huge success! Keep the faith. ;)

Billyd

Reaction score
Yes I heard a few days back that ICS was to start shipping so to speak, on the 4th. That is what I also am hoping will be a final fix for this little pia at least.

I haven't made much head way other than upgrading the LockMenu app which I figured after all it is keeping me going at the present.
I did try one thing that gave me a short lived bit of hope, which was after a reboot and going into LockMenu one of the options is the Dialer. So I thought let me just go straight to the dialer and do the " *228 " for refreshing roaming etc. and when I did it immediately displayed a msg " A VZW SIM card has activated your service and updated your phones roaming capabilities ".

This was a little strange because as you know it normally has to actually dial in and then you chose #2 I believe and wait for a few moments and then hear a similar msg, but in this case there was no dialing, instead it instantly displayed that msg. I did a cpl others like #225? check your BAL and they all worked as expected. Replying with current BAL and sending a txt reply as well.

Wish I had more time but I'm runnin late to get outta here for pool league.
I do wish we had more responses from plp who had or still have this problem and are just working around it for now.

Many thanks
X/BillyD..

Billyd

Reaction score
Well Rezound gets a little love today..
But us Razrs jus gonna have to wait hopefully for an even better product. ')
Android 4.0 arriving for HTC Rezound today, Droid RAZR update delayed -- Engadget

On the SIM card errors, I finally dropped a Gmail acct and that seemed to clear the booting problem. But, I'm still leery because when I try to dial the "*228" for updating rooming etc. I get a msg instantly with no dialing or entering #2 for update.

Instead I get the same canned msg saying "A Verizon Wireless SIM card has activated your service and updated you phones roaming capabilities."
But it displays this without even calling, so I'm very suspicious. I'm not sure If I should just do a full reset, man a lot of setup after that. Or try VZW for another card which I can't help but agree if it works it works. Also I kept my orig and was thinking of shutting down and switching back to it for a boot just to see if maybe it would shake it up enough that it would reprocess the new card properly. Just reachin for anything at this point. ')

Have fun, those with ICS and letz see some show and tell.. lol
Thanks
X/BillyD..

fixdinet

Reaction score
. Let's keep hoping this will resolve all the radio problems but please don't blame just Motorola and the RAZR, this is a Verizon problem as much as (if not more than) it is a Motorola problem.

To clarify, are you saying the loss of connectivity to the SIM is a Verizon issue as much as it is a Motorola issue? Or (and i am hoping this is the case) are you saying the ICS delay is a failure of both Motorola and Verizon?

My wife and I both have the Droid Razr, we foolishly got it on its release date and while hers works fine, mine loses SIM connectivity once per day. I am thinking if this is a Verizon issue due to poor or spotty coverage, her phone should also be losing contact with the SIM. Mine has had this issue as long as I can remember owning this device (purchased 11-11-11) and as much as I hate the "I know whats best for you" nature of apple, I have considered going back to an iPhone when my contract is up. I am well beyond frustrated with this phone and I encourage all who ask me about it to chose a different model. (I failed to mention that on 3 occasions it locked up and I was unable to power it off or use it until the battery died, it has powered off when answering a call and it often sends calls right to VM without ringing)

I have to reboot my phone one to two times per day, which I find unacceptable. Every time there is a new ROM push, it works normally for a week to a month, then I am back to the same old issues. If ICS fixes my issues, then I will b happy, if not, I may just run an experiment to find out how had this needs to be thrown before the glass is destroyed.

:end venting