No signal issue, change sim card, new phone, or ota update to fix?

biggles

Reaction score
My wife's HTC Droid DNA dropped connection 3x this week. It says "no signal". It is not the geographic area because my phone is nearby (Galaxy S3) and it works fine. I read someplace online that replacing the sim card might fix the problem. But the rep at Verizon store said it is a known problem and the sim card probably will not fix it.

She has to restart the phone in order to restore signal. This required her to pull off the road one time, not good.

Are others experiencing this issue? Is it likely to be fixed with a new sim card, an ota update, or will I need to replace the entire phone? In all other aspects she loves the phone. It is really a wonderful device overall.

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Here is a link to read. https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/789312?start=130&tstart=0
Don't get discouraged but start at 130 and I join in at post # 131 (I'm strock2e30). Here is my post-- "Just got my second sim card error, 5 days after my 1st. I just cleaned it and blew out the sim card slot. I had the assistance of our Computer Tech support team at work, so I know it was carefully removed, cleaned and re-inserted. I put a piece of clear tape over the sim slot. The Tech's agreed that that was worth a try and thought that if it was dirt, that the tape would probably solve the issue. They were not too concerned over the scratches on the sim card as they were not deep and even though they all agreed that the design probably isnt the best, the scratches are unavoidable but shouldn't be the issue. I'll keep updated as I go.

My phone has not done it again since, a little over 3 weeks and counting. The poster of #130 has been good for almost 2 months now. Try it, see if you have a slight buildup of dirt/dust film as well. Good luck

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Guess I got my hopes up and jinxed myself. I just got another SIM card error 2 minutes ago. Turned the airplane mode on and then turned it off and the phone was back to normal. Frustrated.

Sent from my DNA.

lterry913

Reaction score
If the phone works I would wait for the update that is coming out, supposedly this week. Otherwise you will get a referb replacement and it may or may not have other issues as it was probably returned for another or the same reason...if update doesn't fix then resort to a replacement...jmo.
I would hate to go through resetting up my phone the way I like it...takes time.

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Thanks for the info, didn't realize there was another update coming out. I love the phone and I agree with your sentiment about not wanting to set another phone up......or deal with someone else's problem child discard. At least I know my phone's issue.

Sent from my DNA.

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
OP
B

biggles

Reaction score
I updated the wife's phone last night and will post back in about a week to let folks know if this solved the problem.

brock29609

Reaction score
HTC DNA SIM card error

Bad news. I was repeadedlly getting the SIM card error on my DNA. Yesterday I took the new update that was supposed to address the problem. Unfortunately, the error has not slowed. Got it 3 times withing the first few hours after taking the update. The only thing that appears different now is the pop-up window I get with the SIM card goes down. It's nice to have a better warning when the problem occurs, but I'd prefer to have the problem solved.

Very frustrating!!!! Don't get your hopes up over this update!

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Brock.....I have heard of others from posts elsewhere who have said the same as you. In each of them (total of 4) the posters had stated that they had the SIM card issue daily if not more often... I don't know if there is a correlation there or not but my phone only did it 3 times in 2+ months of ownership. I have been fine since the update but never had it happen often previous to the update so I can't really judge/or be certain yet. The other 3 posters stated that they were going to Verizon and try to get new (refurbished) phones....who knows. It is frustrating. We all paid good money and should be given new phones and not used phones. We didn't break them. Good luck.

Sent from my DNA.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Go into Verizon and get a new SIM card. It's free. Worth the try before you get another device. Also, do a factory reset to reset O/S. Backup first!

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
So much for the fix. I just got a SIM card error.....post SIM card update....WTF. Having this phone is like marriage. One day perfectly in love, the next day asking where have I mistreated you......

Sent from my DNA.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
So much for the fix. I just got a SIM card error.....post SIM card update....WTF. Having this phone is like marriage. One day perfectly in love, the next day asking where have I mistreated you......

Sent from my DNA.

Haha well put. Ain't that the truth.

slickerthanyou

Reaction score
I too have had the same issue tried four different (new sim cards with no luck, Verizon sent mem a replacement then two days after that the screen shattered and the sim card no service started again multiple times, I do not have insurance so My phone is on it's way to HTC, for screen replacement and sim card reader fix, and my mobile data is always diconnected even though it's turned on, this will be my last final attempt at the DNA, Verizon wan't able to assist me wuith the data issue. wifi works flawlessly but 4G or 3G signal blows. This phone blows.:icon_ devil:

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
I too have had the same issue tried four different (new sim cards with no luck, Verizon sent mem a replacement then two days after that the screen shattered and the sim card no service started again multiple times, I do not have insurance so My phone is on it's way to HTC, for screen replacement and sim card reader fix, and my mobile data is always diconnected even though it's turned on, this will be my last final attempt at the DNA, Verizon wan't able to assist me wuith the data issue. wifi works flawlessly but 4G or 3G signal blows. This phone blows.:icon_ devil:

Sorry to hear about the issues. I actually traded my s3 for the dna I have right now. I haven't experienced the simple card error from what I am reading in this thread. When I traded my phone all we did was swap sim cards and it was all good. But when I was at the Verizon store I immediately put insurance on this phone. From what people have told me, if you buy a phone from someone you can't put insurance on it only if you buy the phone from a store. But the Verizon store rep let me put insurance on the phone. Good luck on getting your phone fixed.