No Menu Button

Tony_Stark

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Forgive me, because I am sure this has been covered a million times on here... :shocked:

I just got the Galaxy Nexus and so far I really like the phone. The only thing I am finding difficult is the lack of the "Menu" button that my previous Droid had. It's mostly troubling when I am using an App that I usually use the Menu button for. For instance, on Shazam if I want to delete a tag, previously I would use the menu button and it would give me that option... now I can't even seem to figure out how to do it at all?

I have seen a few items on the web about "getting" the menu button but I don't know if they are legit and/or safe.

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you!

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Forgive me, because I am sure this has been covered a million times on here... :shocked:

I just got the Galaxy Nexus and so far I really like the phone. The only thing I am finding difficult is the lack of the "Menu" button that my previous Droid had. It's mostly troubling when I am using an App that I usually use the Menu button for. For instance, on Shazam if I want to delete a tag, previously I would use the menu button and it would give me that option... now I can't even seem to figure out how to do it at all?

I have seen a few items on the web about "getting" the menu button but I don't know if they are legit and/or safe.

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you!

There actually is a menu button on the GN, it just only pops up when necessary. It is the 3 vertical dots that pops up to the right of the recents button, or is built into the apps. For the ones that have the menu button built into the app, it should be on the right side either at the top or the bottom.

View attachment 54252

See the 3 dots in the corner there? Note that isn't my screenshot, I googled a screenshot of the menu button. I am running a custom ROM and theme and would probably confuse you a little if I took a screen grab of my screen currently.

Essentially Google is trying to kill the need for a menu button, and make apps have a built in menu button. Take Google Play Store as an example, at the top right next to search is the menu button (3 vertical dots). The Gmail application, it is down in the bottom right. Stock browser...top right. Some apps that don't follow Google's guidelines and require a menu button, will have it spawn next to the recents button.

I just installed Shazam and it appears in the bottom right corner.

About installing things to force menu buttons, they would require you to be unlocked and have a custom recovery. There are multiple methodologies to the menu button, especially if you get into custom ROMs (menu button never disappears, menu on right and left of navbar, big menu). I can't say if the ones you are looking at are legit or safe without knowing what you are looking at but yes, there are many that work out there. Some do come with other tweaks too, such as adding a search key, and/or removing the recents key and adding it to a long press of home to get recents.

OP
Tony_Stark

Tony_Stark

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Wow, thank you so much! I had wondered about the "dots". Thank you for taking the time and giving such a detailed response. I really appreciate it! :hail: