no market???

Raven1r44

Reaction score
I tried installing .8.4 two diff times, wiped data/cache 3 times each both times. the market never installed! back to BB for now, any ideas?

Did you install the gapps update.zip? If not do so and you should be good to go.

Mike

Haha....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Did you install the gapps update.zip? If not do so and you should be good to go.

Mike

Oh God, I hope that's not the case =p

These threads kill me. If they download through ROM Manager, it does it for them. If they download from the wiki, and didn't see the words Gapps right below it, then they didn't read up :)

It says no longer include gapps 4 legal reasons, what reasons could they be? If it's personal I understand but just curious cause I've never seen that before

Sent from My Simply Stunning Droid using Tapatalk

It says no longer include gapps 4 legal reasons, what reasons could they be? If it's personal I understand but just curious cause I've never seen that before

Cyanogenmod does it.

It is just because Google does not want their apps distributed as a part of a rom. If you distribute them, it has to be seperate and people have to know that they are the Google experience. If not, Sapphire could get a cease and desist letter asking them to stop making ROMs, which isn't good at all :)

I have not idea what legality is at play when one develops a rom. My sense is that by including Google's intellectual property (Google apps) without their written consent my be the issue.

Therefore, to protect themselves the developers intentionally left out the Google apps (market, maps, etc) If, however, you want to add, then simply download the gapps update.zip and install.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Also was wondering how I should go about installing the rom & gapps (i use sprecovery) cause since there's no market I can't download astro to move the gapps update.zip to root of sdcard after I install 0.8.4

Also was wondering how I should go about installing the rom & gapps (i use sprecovery) cause since there's no market I can't download astro to move the gapps update.zip to root of sdcard after I install 0.8.4

Mount your phone between flashes. Use mount options and click enable usb mass storage while connected to a computer. Then just name the next zip (the gapps) and flash them.

Mount your phone between flashes. Use mount options and click enable usb mass storage while connected to a computer. Then just name the next zip (the gapps) and flash them.

Dang it was hoping I didn't have to do that

ah, I see...

firstly, thank you all for your insight! I did download it from the wiki page, I detest ROM manager and believe it is only good for flashing clockworkMOD. I guess when I was reading the wiki, I skimmed it too quickly and thought that the "market hack" was the optional fix if and when the market did show up. I guess I just figured the market would be there reguardless. Will have to try saphire again now that I know to DL and flash the "G" apps .zip in clockwork. thanks guys!

Mike

These threads kill me. If they download through ROM Manager, it does it for them. If they download from the wiki, and didn't see the words Gapps right below it, then they didn't read up :)

I must admit, I totally didnt even bother to read about the Gapps on the wiki page, and feel like a total tool now! lol, thanks for pointing it out to me guys!

I must admit, I totally didnt even bother to read about the Gapps on the wiki page, and feel like a total tool now! lol, thanks for pointing it out to me guys!

It's ok. It's what we're here for :)

The legal reasons are that technically, any ROM includes proprietary files that are NOT licensed for re-release. These include google files as well as the various proprietaries from motorola (or other device manufacturers depending on the device). While each individual user has a right to possess and utilize these pieces of software on their phones, nobody officially has a right to re-distribute them.

Sapphire has taken the initiative to provide google apps separately, as Cyanogen has received a Cease and Desist from google in the past, and that is what they were asked to do. This may or may not prevent google from contacting us about this in the future, as technically we are still redistributing the google apps, and don't have a written agreement or anything, as I would suspect cyanogen does, but it is a good faith effort to show that we are not here to steal anyone's work illegally.

This brings up the lingering issue of device manufacturer proprietaries. Technically, sapphire's build is set up in such a way that if motorola, htc, etc. ever DID give a C&D about their software, we could rip it out and provide a method to circumvent it, though it would be a hard blow to the ROM community, as no ROM will actually run properly without those files.

All in all it is important to understand that technically we are playing with the intellectual property of others when developing these ROMs, and although companies like motorola have gotten a lot of flack for their bootloader lockdowns, they have been surprisingly lax on enforcing the distribution of their proprietary software.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough about this. That is essentially what we mean by "legal matters". I hope that shed some light on the situation.

Back