No longer connects to WiFi automatically

Fabric8r

Reaction score
Just started about a week ago, doesn't automatically connect to known WiFi.
The only way to connect to my home or work WiFi is to tap the "Tap to configure WiFi" and turn off the WiFi and turn it back on again a few seconds later - then it connects right away.

Yes, I do have checkmarks in front of "Notify me", and "Auto-connect".
In Advanced settings I have:
-Passpoint is turned off.
-Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep is set to always.
-Check for Internet service is not checked.

Any advice?
Thank you!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you tried restarting or doing battery pull?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you forgotten the network, restart, and then setup the connection over again?

What about updates? Did you accept the last OTA?

OP
F

Fabric8r

Reaction score
I will try removing my home WiFi network connection when I get home, and setting it up again.

I did the latest update last Thursday, but this problem started happening a few days prior. I looked for the update thinking maybe it had a bug fix for my issue. I didn't.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If that doesn't help I would pull out the battery and SIM card for a good minute. I recall not too long ago a member was told to pull out their SIM card for a problem that was thought to have nothing to do with the SIM card, but it worked. So give that a shot.

rick7301

Reaction score
I am also having this issue. It only happened after the update. Does not automatically connect anymore. Eats battery trying to connect. I have to actually go and turn it and turn it on again for it to find the WiFi??? Did anyone have this problem and actually fix it? Driving me nuts...

OP
F

Fabric8r

Reaction score
I just downloaded another new update. Wifi connected right away when it rebooted. Will see how it does at other known and saved WiFi places, but so far so good.

nvmyrx8

Reaction score
Having the same problem here with the auto connect. Worked great before last update and now have to disable and enable wifi to connect. Did a full wipe of phone and tried the cache partition wipe...kept getting error and no change. Called Verizon for the 4th time and sent me a replacement. Just received the new phone from Verizon lastnight and still same story. Getting annoyed. It's gotta be something with the recent software update I'm thinking.

**UPDATE**----> Spoke with Verizon Rep today and Samsung is aware of the issue and is currently working on a fix...Looks like some of us just have to ride it out for a bit.

OP
F

Fabric8r

Reaction score
Looks like the newest update did not fix the WiFi problem. It is a little different now though, it says "Authentication failed". I turn off the WiFi, then back on again, and it connects, no problem. Still riding it out, hoping Samsung or Verizon gets it fixed. Shouldn't have to do this.

TvVoice

Reaction score
Looks like the newest update did not fix the WiFi problem. It is a little different now though, it says "Authentication failed". I turn off the WiFi, then back on again, and it connects, no problem. Still riding it out, hoping Samsung or Verizon gets it fixed. Shouldn't have to do this.

I had a similar problem after updating to 4.3. Rebooting my router took care of it. I know it's very simple, but it might work for you. Good luck!

OP
F

Fabric8r

Reaction score
Nope, that didn't work. Still have to manually connect to the WiFi - several times a day. There are 12 other various smart phones in our office, mine is the only one that has to manually connect. Mine is the only Galaxy S4. Starting to dislike it....

rick7301

Reaction score
Nothing has worked for me either. Hopefully there's a new update soon that fixes this. I find it's eating my battery because it's constantly looking for WiFi signal.....

jhom

Reaction score
You might want to Odin back to a stock image. The guys on Xda-developers have just started posting the MJ7 stock images.

olddoc

Reaction score
Same problem here. Won't connect to known networks. Toggle wifi off then on and it connects fast as usual.