no keyboard backlight

ryanm

Reaction score
I to am noticing lighting probs after up date and NEVERE B4. My soft keys went off and stayed off until my phone froze then went black. then the red eye came on and then my lock screen. then the soft keys were lit but keyboard wouldnt. my auto brightness has been off. locking and unlocking the screen does turn the keyboard on, but this shouldnt be happening and IS most likely update related.

bigthinker

Reaction score
does anyone know how to keep the keyboard lights lit up for longer than 10 seconds? Is there a setting for these somewhere?

bbrruuccee

Reaction score
It wasn't only my keyboard. My soft buttons wouldn't light up either and was in the dark. However, weird thing was after I posted this, I tried my phone a bit later and it's working now.

I've seen a number of posts alleging the 2.0.1 update broke their phone. I don't believe any of them. Either the update didn't complete successfully and something got corrupted, or the user is expecting something that's just not there.
I'm assuming you said that just to get a rise. I woke up to find all backlighting nonfunctional, dark, light, covered, auto or anything. after restart, no change, but a few minutes later, slid the keyboard and spontaneously "voila". I'm in Mensa, and it was no stupidity on my part. The update is intermittently disabling the backlight. Comprende?

Jer

Reaction score
If it happens again... Home Screen > Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness. Uncheck and than check Automatic Brightness. That seems to "unstick" the non-working backlight on the keys.

This is happening to me also, what I've noticed though is after locking; then unlocking the screen the problem goes away until another reboot, which it happens again until I lock and unlock the phone. Kinda annoying but thankful for an update atleast.

Thanks for posting this as it was the fix for me. Not even a reboot/battery pull would solve the issue for me. I found this thread and simply pushed the lock button and upon pushing it again the keyboard and 4 buttons at the bottom (or right in this instance) lit up and saved me from potentially discovering the flight characteristics of my shiny new Droid.

Jer

Reaction score
I to am noticing lighting probs after up date and NEVERE B4. My soft keys went off and stayed off until my phone froze then went black. then the red eye came on and then my lock screen. then the soft keys were lit but keyboard wouldnt. my auto brightness has been off. locking and unlocking the screen does turn the keyboard on, but this shouldnt be happening and IS most likely update related.

I also never experienced this problem prior to the update. Not saying it caused it but noting that I also can't disprove that claim either. At least that's my personal experience anyway.

Cedrick21

Reaction score
If it happens again... Home Screen > Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness. Uncheck and than check Automatic Brightness. That seems to "unstick" the non-working backlight on the keys.
Checking and unchecking the auto adjust worked great thanks!!

vonfink13

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread...my lights were all off and I did a search..found this thread and a few minutes later.....all is well...thank you all very much.

francod81

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread...my lights were all off and I did a search..found this thread and a few minutes later.....all is well...thank you all very much.
Hello, i got to end of this thread and could not figure out a way to get this to work. could you provide me with the steps you found to fix the problem? thanks in advance

detox07

Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm having this same issue, I'm using Smoked Glass 5.0.1 ROM, here is what I've done and whats happening:

When I push the lock/unlock button, the capacitive buttons will turn on for about 1.5 seconds, then turn off, when I then unlock the phone, the backlight is off.

When I turn on/off the auto-dim function, the capacitive buttons light up, and stay lit up, but as soon as I slide my screen to use the keyboard, they turn off, and the keyboard lights are off as well.

When I toggle the backlight control on the power settings widget (while the phone is closed) the capacitive buttons light up and stay lit up, when I slide the screen, they turn off and the keyboard lights are off as well.

When I open the physical keyboard, and do any of the above steps, the keyboard and capacitive button lights turn on and stay on, until I close the phone, then they all turn off again.

I couldn't get them to come on at all before now at least I have a remedy when I need to type in the dark instead of guessing, but does anyone have a permanent fix for this yet?

johntkong

Reaction score
It is very strange, but after the update, I noticed that my keyboard lights and and soft buttons would flash on and off randomly (at about 5-10 second intervals) while typing a text message in the dark. This did not happen before the update so I wonder why it is doing this. My automatic brightness is turned off.

My hardware keyboard did that for the first time last night. I was typing in a semi dark living room on my hardware kb when the backlight went out. It came back on in a matter of seconds though.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
I wonder is amb is still subscribed to this thread after almost a year. :)

...But, this happens to me as well. Doesn't matter what ROM I use or how many time I've wiped this baby clean. To be honest I never thought about it until reading through this. I just though that was normal behavior since it happened on my first Droid as well (rest in piece my friend).

andykillsu

Reaction score
Hey everbody. I had this same problem. My backlight was fine. But when I installed the newest version and it rebooted the backlight didn't work too. I found out a way to fix it for me at least. All I did is went into settings (from the home menu) then display and the autobrightness. I turned it off and when I did that the lights came back on!!! I have no idea why it is doing this when you install the new version but there's a fix now!!!! Good luck seeing your keyboards now!!!!! Lol :)

Last edited: