no keyboard backlight

drivebylake

Reaction score
I installed the 2.0.1 update today. However, I just realized that my physical keyboard will not light up anymore. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Hope my Droid isn't broke.

hajabooja

Reaction score
It should only light up when you in a dark room. Same with the capacitive buttons on the bottom of the screen. Take your thumb and place it over the top right hand corner of the device and wait a few seconds. The lights should turn on then. This saves battery life...

lew11

Reaction score
Same problem here but covering the light sensor does not work...updated this morning amd have restarted the phone many times. Not happy!

JayMonster

Reaction score
I guess this is a problem for those of you still using that "battery saving" auto mode? (It hurt my eyes with the constant switching, so I turned that off long ago). I have not seen any problems with backlight of keyboard or screen buttons not turning on.

OP
D

drivebylake

Reaction score
It wasn't only my keyboard. My soft buttons wouldn't light up either and was in the dark. However, weird thing was after I posted this, I tried my phone a bit later and it's working now.

R

racklefratz

It wasn't only my keyboard. My soft buttons wouldn't light up either and was in the dark. However, weird thing was after I posted this, I tried my phone a bit later and it's working now.

I've seen a number of posts alleging the 2.0.1 update broke their phone. I don't believe any of them. Either the update didn't complete successfully and something got corrupted, or the user is expecting something that's just not there.

viperboy

Reaction score
If it happens again... Home Screen > Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness. Uncheck and than check Automatic Brightness. That seems to "unstick" the non-working backlight on the keys.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it happens again... Home Screen > Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness. Uncheck and than check Automatic Brightness. That seems to "unstick" the non-working backlight on the keys.

This is happening to me also, what I've noticed though is after locking; then unlocking the screen the problem goes away until another reboot, which it happens again until I lock and unlock the phone. Kinda annoying but thankful for an update atleast.

lew11

Reaction score
It started working again last night after I plugged it into the wall charger. I updated yesterday morning and didn't notice of the soft keys or the keyboard lit up during the day. It's working this morning as well, so hopefully it's fixed...

amb4582

Reaction score
It is very strange, but after the update, I noticed that my keyboard lights and and soft buttons would flash on and off randomly (at about 5-10 second intervals) while typing a text message in the dark. This did not happen before the update so I wonder why it is doing this. My automatic brightness is turned off.

civEX

Reaction score
My soft keys seem to do this too. Sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not. Last night I rebooted it and noticed the soft keys were off and I also was in the dark. I turned the auto on and off hoping to fix it and it didn't right away, so I toggled the stock power widgets brightness settings and it came on again. I'm assumeing this is a software issue and not a hardware.

lew11

Reaction score
uggg I had the blinking lights earlier while typing a text message just like amb4582 described...:mad:

allikanbe

Reaction score
It is very strange, but after the update, I noticed that my keyboard lights and and soft buttons would flash on and off randomly (at about 5-10 second intervals) while typing a text message in the dark. This did not happen before the update so I wonder why it is doing this. My automatic brightness is turned off.

Mine did that before the update. It's just a frekin tad annoying. Usually the lights just went out after about 10 seconds. I don't know if it still happens after the update.

mr2man

Reaction score
I had this same backlight problem.... and then it just started working. I even turned the phone off/on and it didn't fix it.

Steve H

Reaction score
all my keys lit up fine BEFORE the update. Now I notice that sometimes they lite up and other times they don't ( in a totally dark room).