No IM program stays connected!

Adlerson

Reaction score
I've gone through 3 IM programs now; Meebo, which seems nice but force closes all the time, and eBuddy, which doesn't stay connected more than 3-4-5 hours at a time. After I tried those two I decided to use Google Talk, since, I thought, it being an official Google app, surely that has to do it's job correctly!
Then I woke up this morning, and was disconnected from Google Talk too.
Now, my question is, are anyone else noticing this with their Droid? Are any of you able to rely 100% on your instant message program still being connected to it's main server when you wake in the morning?
Are any of you having the same problems as me?

I would like to hear both from people with and without this problem, so I can decide if I should take the phone back for a replacement or not.

Thanks!

Addy

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i use google talk and it stays connected pretty much 100% of the time... i dont ever turn it off... once in a while it will say lost data connection but it comes right back in no time.

OP
A

Adlerson

Reaction score
Thanks for replying, garret.
When you say it says it's lost data connection but it comes back right away, how does that work? What I'm asking is, how do you know it's lost data connection? Does it give you a message on the main screen, and then reconnect by itself, or (like in my case) nothing happens until I actually manually open the app, then tells me 'reconnecting....'?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
on the chat screen a it will say "lost data connection messages will be sent once connection is restored" in red.... thats not exactly what it says but its close.

then after about 60 seconds or so its gone... so im assuming when it dissapears it restored the connection.

OP
A

Adlerson

Reaction score
I understand it dropping while in a call, but that's not the problem. All my IM apps have lost connection at some point during the day/night over the past week, and none of them will actually reconnect until I manually open the app, even if I haven't had any calls going on. I just find it very.. Weird, that all my IM apps display this peculiar behaviour, and none of them will automatically reconnect unless I actually open the app manually...

romeov

Reaction score
I use Nimbuzz, free, really well done and although it disconnects a lot (they all seem to) it reconnects on it's own instantly

ConmanTheUber

Reaction score
I was using HI AIM and HI MSN and i never had any problem with them disconnecting on me. They do however tend to munch on the battery life while active though.

teknotronik

Reaction score
It is not true to say EVDO doesn't support Data and voice at the same time. EVDO is data only voice is sent over standard 1xRTT. Ever notice when driving with your phone on speakerphone and having Nav open it still grabs the satellite images with no problem.