No ICS for D3

spillner

Reaction score
According to Phonearena.com Moto will not release ICS to the DX or the D3. Last Moto device for me. Sorry if this has already been posted elseware.

Natey2

Reaction score
Maybe it's not a hardware thing. Motorola wants old users to buy a new phone?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Just root and rush Hashcodes AOKP or Steel Droid ICS. Sure it isn't an official Motorola build, but its 100x better.

With all of the 1 click root tools out their your good to go, and with Safestrap you can even stay with a stock safe system and roll ICS in the other partition.

Butt-Dialed from my Hamburger Phone

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
Maybe it's not a hardware thing. Motorola wants old users to buy a new phone?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

It doesnt matter, they won't be getting any of my business. I had an OG Droid and that got 1 minor and 2 major OS updates. The D3 is less than a year old and has yet to recieve any. Face it, the D3 was forgotten by Moto the day the Bionic hit the shelves.

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
Just root and rush Hashcodes AOKP or Steel Droid ICS. Sure it isn't an official Motorola build, but its 100x better.

With all of the 1 click root tools out their your good to go, and with Safestrap you can even stay with a stock safe system and roll ICS in the other partition.

Butt-Dialed from my Hamburger Phone

My phones rooted, not sure how to use safestrap or load custom roms on this. Seemed a lot easier on my D1.

koftheworld

Reaction score
My phones rooted, not sure how to use safestrap or load custom roms on this. Seemed a lot easier on my D1.

Safestrap is just an apk that basically allows dual booting. Just install the apk, open and click install, then reboot.press menu during reboot taking you into a menu that looks exactly like cmwr.from there you can switch between safe and nonsafe systems. After switching to nonsafe (which auto backs up your original system), you can flash normally. the concept is that the safe system is backed up and untouched while you use a different rom aka the nonsafe rom. This situation is better than the d1 for this reason.if anything goes wrong with your nonsafe rom, then you can easily go back to your safe Rom.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
Safestrap is just an apk that basically allows dual booting. Just install the apk, open and click install, then reboot.press menu during reboot taking you into a menu that looks exactly like cmwr.from there you can switch between safe and nonsafe systems. After switching to nonsafe (which auto backs up your original system), you can flash normally. the concept is that the safe system is backed up and untouched while you use a different rom aka the nonsafe rom. This situation is better than the d1 for this reason.if anything goes wrong with your nonsafe rom, then you can easily go back to your safe Rom.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

LOL, thanks, I just did a bunch of research and it is a lot easier than I thought:biggrin:. One question, how do I enable safestrap to allow update.zip, says its "safe disabled"

Nevermind, I got it

Last edited:

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Wow so sad, phones not even a year old yet, i guess you must buy a new phone right before or after a new software release, sad just sad

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Reaction score
This is my last motorola phone as well probably. I plan on buying a galaxy S III. And if I'm lucky, they'll come out with a bluetooth keyboard attachment for that phone.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is even that big of a deal to many Droid 3 owners. HTC is updating most of it's 2011 phones to ICS sometime in Q2/Q3 of this year. That could mean as late as September/October...If you got the Droid 3 close to it's launch date than chances are your upgrade is in march/april. Compared to other manufacturers, are people REALLY going to miss ICS for a couple of months? Probably not...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got the D2 not too long after launch and won't have my upgrade for a while now. Most D3 owners won't be to two years until 10 or more months from now. Regardless, a phone this new shouldn't be getting the shaft on updates. VZ blames Moto and Moto claims is's the ram, yet HTC is updating their own devices that only have 512mb and launched the One V with ICS despite it's shortcoming of 512mb. Moto is screwing it's customers and making devices increasingly difficult to customize and like others I won't be going Moto again.

jimikeys

Reaction score
This has made me jaded towards android phones that carriers and oems control(vzw and moto). I'm going to get the 7 inch nexus tablet straight from google then get an iphone, my experiences with an ipad make me think I'll be ok with it, once its jail broken its a bit better. I can appreciate a device without carrier/oem bs. My 1st two Androids were stock (G1 and D1) and were the best experiences I had but this D3 experience with the carrier, oem greed its just too much. Google gets blame as well but vzw and moto deserve more.

I'm waiting to see vzw's unlimited data rule and see if it voids my contract even if it doesn't I may pay the etf and go to sprint or at&t, hell if i go to sprint I may stick with android they seem to get updates out sooner and look to be ok with nexus devices long term as is at&t but if I stay on vzw I'm getting an iphone. I do hope that now that greedy sob jha is gone as are his cronies moto gets back to the D1 roots.

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
Is it really that big of a surprise? You do know who owns Motorola Mobility right? Taking a stand against Moto is pointless if you still use an android phone. Google bought the company(Moto) that makes the phones, and the company(Android) that developed the system. They can do whatever they want.....and that's by design

Can't wait til they buy Big Red

Sent from a thing using an app

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Moto is screwing it's customers and making devices increasingly difficult to customize and like others I won't be going Moto again.

If you think Moto is making it hard to customize, did you know on the HTC Rezound you have to short it out to achieve S-off?? That's the the only way to flash ROMs via recovery. Its not just Moto making it hard.

It is what it is. I've ran the ICS ROMs, and they aren't really leaps and bounds ahead of the current setup. I can see why Moto says it wouldn't make the user experience better. It really wouldn't add much to the device. This isn't saying I wouldn't like an official update, but its not going to happen and whining isn't going to change it.

Just remember, they are not obligated to update the device except to fix security issues and bug fixes.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2