No Google Earth for Droid???

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvtype

Reaction score
How is it that the Droid (as a Google-driven phone) does not have the Google Earth app I just saw and loved on the iphone? It's this app that made me run to finally get a smartphone. I opted for the Droid bc I don't want to leave the Verizon network i'm on. Am shocked to find that this Google app is not available. I want it badly. Does anyone have any news about it or about when it will become available on the Droid?

Thanks!

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
Just change the layers to satellite and it's the same as Google earth?

zegwin

Reaction score
Yah but with google earth I get free USGS topographical maps.... It would be really nice to have any when I am hiking. So till Green Trails Maps gets their app finished then I am stuck downloading them and saving them to my phone.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
Thanks, I like having the planet view (rather than my location), then zooming into whatever country I feel like "visiting".... Is there a way to do that with Layers in Maps?

Redls1bird

Reaction score
Actually, thers only 256mb of on phone app storage. The sd cards are currently off limits until some successfully roots their droid.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Apps and games have access to the SD card for file storage. The main file obviously must be on the internal storage but any developer can access the SD card for further use.

shatteredzman

Reaction score
That is incorrect. Find DOOM on the market and install it, it uses the SD card, no root required. You only need something called a launcher program on the phones memory and those can be very very small.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Actually, thers only 256mb of on phone app storage. The sd cards are currently off limits until some successfully roots their droid.

Apps CAN store parts of their programs and databases on the SD card. SEveral out there do already.

To the guy who said up to 32gb... There are no 32 gb micro sd cards on the market, and when they are, they will be outrageously priced.

shatteredzman

Reaction score
I give it 6 months and it will be out. 6 months after its out it will cost as much as a 16GB card costs today. 6 months after that we will be storing our pictures in voids between dimensions that hold 1tb! Okay well I can see the first 2 things happening but you never know.

kwyjibo3

Reaction score
Thanks, I like having the planet view (rather than my location), then zooming into whatever country I feel like "visiting".... Is there a way to do that with Layers in Maps?

back to the OP, just zoom out on the satellite layer. is that what your talking about?

Slowestpuma

Reaction score
easy way to do this...just search google earth on droid-life.com...they will take you through the process if you are non-rooted...just did it and its awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.