No Flash While Taking Pictures

DonGreyface

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I searched extensivly and have not found my exact problem.

Anytime I try to take a picture with my camera, I cannot get the flash to work. I have tried setting it to 'autoflash' and simply 'flash on' but to no avail. The LED works with a flashlight app, and it also works when I use the video end of the camera and turn the 'light on'. But not a thing when trying to take a picture. I have tried multiple different combinations of settings, I have tried a 'force stop' of the camera app, I have even tried the 'clear data' button under app management, but still nothing. Any help on this issue would be greatly appritiated.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I searched extensivly and have not found my exact problem.

Anytime I try to take a picture with my camera, I cannot get the flash to work. I have tried setting it to 'autoflash' and simply 'flash on' but to no avail. The LED works with a flashlight app, and it also works when I use the video end of the camera and turn the 'light on'. But not a thing when trying to take a picture. I have tried multiple different combinations of settings, I have tried a 'force stop' of the camera app, I have even tried the 'clear data' button under app management, but still nothing. Any help on this issue would be greatly appritiated.

The first question I would ask is have you installed any "other" camera apps? If not, you should probably try booting the phone in Safe Mode (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200128-accessing-safe-mode-your-razr.html), and see if the stock camera app STILL doesn't respond with a flash. If the flash works in Safe mode, then you have SOME kind of app that is causing the issue. If however the flash still doesn't work in Safe mode, then your only recourse may be to try a Factory data restore. This will wipe out your profile and all user-installed apps, but your personal data on the internal and external SD cards will be preserved unless you opt to wipe the cards as well.

If the phone still doesn't flash when taking photos, then you have a defective phone.

OP
D

DonGreyface

Reaction score
No, I didn't at the time have another camera app installed, but I did install one this morning and try that out with the same results. I then tried your suggestion about booting in safe mode and I still have the same issue. Being that this is the only real issue I have with the phone (minus some minor problems that rarely happen and can be fixed by power cycling) I think I'll live with it rather than going through the hassle of a factory resest. Thank you for trying to figure out my issue.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, I didn't at the time have another camera app installed, but I did install one this morning and try that out with the same results. I then tried your suggestion about booting in safe mode and I still have the same issue. Being that this is the only real issue I have with the phone (minus some minor problems that rarely happen and can be fixed by power cycling) I think I'll live with it rather than going through the hassle of a factory resest. Thank you for trying to figure out my issue.

Ok, but based on you getting the same results in safe mode, I am leaning toward a hardware failure. A factory restore is the only method left to rule out a software failure.

If the phone is under warranty, I would carefully consider it. There are tools you can user to back up you're apps, MyBackup, and to backup your call log, Call Logs Backup & Restore, and to backup your texts, SMS Backup & Restore, the last two are from Riesh Sahu and I've used them with 100% success for a couple years now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2