Nexus not recognized by PC, unknown device in device manager, can't transfer files

weezyldroid27

Reaction score
When I try to connect to any port it says usb device not recognized, will not install drivers like it did for my galaxy tab and my girlfriends Samsung phone. has anyone found a fix to this, i probably did just about every thing but get a new phone or even
data cable.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What OS are you using on your PC?

Have you tried downloading the drivers from Samsung's website?

OP
W

weezyldroid27

Reaction score
Windows 7 and yes installed drivers from Samsung. Even when windows updates with Samsung device update it fails. Tried an XP system also and didn't connect.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Try uninstalling the current drivers and then reinstalling them using PDAnet. I had a trouble awhile back with the drivers and this method worked. You may also have to get some driver uninstaller software, there's a few free ones on a Google search that I used. Also, make sure to restart your PC after uninstalling the driver.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Is USB Debugging turned on? That may be causing an issue as well.

OP
W

weezyldroid27

Reaction score
I've done all of that. USB Debugging on, and did everything with the drivers and all, still nothing...thanks for the suggestions guys :biggrin::frown:

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
You'd want to turn debugging off in this case, is what I was getting at.

Iuvussac

Reaction score
Maybe some other programm intercepts your device.
Or you should check mode your phone using while connecting to PC. (You probably already did it, thou.)

OP
W

weezyldroid27

Reaction score
yea did that.

About to just order the part guys. Its only 15.99 for the micro USB and microphone replacement part on eBay. Many have done it and its an easy fix. I dare not ask Verizon to cover it and send me a refurb if they even do that. Next upgrade I will go to best buy and use the geek squad protection

OP
W

weezyldroid27

Reaction score
hooked up my cable to my girlfriends Samsung smartphone and bam device installed and autoplay popped up with her files. So It's def not the cable or computer. I'm thinking it's the micro usb port. Thanks for all your suggestions!

OP
W

weezyldroid27

Reaction score
I actually got my replacement device today and now I am skeptical about rooting it because it may have caused this problem in the first place, idk. what do you all think?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would maybe wait a few days, make sure it functions as it's supposed to. Does your PC read it?

I've rooted all my phones and never had a problem.

OP
W

weezyldroid27

Reaction score
Verizon actually replaced it for me, thanks for your help. The part is being sold on eBay tho for anyone else looking for a fix and YouTube has the breakdown of the nexus.

Samdroid1

Reaction score
Look guys, this problem has absolutely nothing to do with your Micro USB port and definitely doesn't require ordering a replacement. I had this same problem and it's usually caused because you pull your phone off the computer without ejecting it properly. Happened to me this morning, plugged my phone into my desktop in my bedroom last night and when I woke up for a meeting this morning, I just pulled it off without thinking since I'm used to it being on a charger at night and not hooked to the PC. Once I got home, every computer (I've got several) I hooked it to said USB device not recognized.

Go into your device manager, find all the entries for USB Host Controller or something with that in its name (mine specifically was Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, on a Dell N7010). Uninstall each one of them (no worries) and shut down your computer. When you turn your computer back on, it SHOULD (on Windows 7 at least) automatically reinstall the drivers. If not, simply return to the device manager and right click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click Scan for hardware changes. It will reinstall the proper drivers and your device should hook up to the computer beautifully. THATS IT! No uninstalling/reinstalling Samsung drivers, no phone replacing, no trying another cord - none of that. None of those things actually have anything to do with the problem. You hear replace your cord so frequently but c'mon guys be realistic - if the cord was working last night why would it just stop? That's just silly and a waste of money. Try this out, works for me each and every time!

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I had this problem when I first got mine, drivers corrupted on the first install. I was able to use USB deview to fix it.