Nexus 9 bricked! :(

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
I recently put the N beta on my Nexus 9. Things seemed OK, but Swing by Swing a golf gps app wouldn't work properly. So I unenrolled from the beta, got the notice for a download back to Marshmallow and proceeded to get things done.

Got 'error' screen and then when I rebooted it said system corrupt. Pulled up fastboot to do a factory reset. Erased fine, but wouldn't boot. Or I should say it boots to 'Google' on the screen and that's it.

So I went and read about loading the OS externally with the adb tools. I must be stupid but the instructions I read were completely not understandable.

SO assume I'm dumb as a rock, can someone step me through just how I recover this device?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
I thought I had the file I needed but it came as a tar. Used 7-zip to untar it and it only created a single file. But the way I was reading things I don't think that was the way it was supposed to untar.
When I run fastboot devices it shows the Nexus as being there.
And that is just about as far as I got. As I said I think the instructions were almost unintelligible. Said get this, do that but the do that was a little cryptic to me.

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
Silly blasted Windows!! 7-zip untar the file to a zip file and I didn't catch that. Ran it again on the zip and now I have the files in the right place.
When I try to unlock it comes back and says it doesn't have permission and won't unlock. And of course a flash won't work if it doesn't.

Further reading says something about device driver files for the Nexus 9 for Windows but doesn't give a clue about where/how to check to see if I have the right ones. I just let the ADB install find and install drivers since it seemed to be the thing to do.

So that's where I'm stuck at.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If Windows sees the N9 without a error message, you should be ok. As for permission, you need to be signed into Windows as an Administrator.

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
My account is an administrator account by default or is there another account I need to use?

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
OK, got an administrator account setup. But the fastboot unlocking commands (both of them) won't unlock the blasted boot loader which means that the flash-all script will fail and it does.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
OK, got an administrator account setup. But the fastboot unlocking commands (both of them) won't unlock the blasted boot loader which means that the flash-all script will fail and it does.

What are the exact commands you are trying?

Also have you tried wugfresh root toolkit? It will unlock/lock bootloader's, root, etc.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I second using wugfresh!! That has fixed a few issues on my nexus phones and tablets

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
I told you to talk to me like I'm stupid!! I don't know enough about Android so didn't have a clue where to start this process. I'll get wugfresh later today and give it a whirl.

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
OK, I think I've got everything set up to do this properly now. I had missed that you untar then unzip a zip file which gives you a few files and then there was an additional zip file inside that. I missed that last one. BTW, what moron thought a tar and zip inside a zip made any kind of sense?

Now I have to wait as my Windows box decided it needed a restart for an update. Turns out the update is another preview version so it takes awhile.

BTW, my instructions are now here:
[GUIDE]Nexus 9 back to stock guide - Unbrick - Restore factory firmware

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
Alas, nothing works. Got the wufresh(?). Ran it and it cannot unlock the damned thing. When you select that it does something then the N9 reboots to "Google" on a black screen and of course, it cannot then find the blasted device.

Putting the N9 back in Fastboot manually lets it find it, then it says it found multiple devices and cannot run the scripts.

Time to call HTC tech support and get them to fix this thing. It is still under warranty so now it is their problem IMO.

Thanks for the feedback and help, unfortunately this thing is just totally bricked! :(

OP
L

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
I've got all the files and yes, I can boot it to fastboot. But none of the software can seem to unlock the boot loader which pretty much makes doing anything else impossible from what I can see.

But this is all moot now. I chatted with HTC and have sent the unit to them for warranty service.