Nexus 7 Screen Washout and Ghosting a Potential Widespread Issue?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
nexus7_2_wm.jpeg

We may have stumbled onto a small and isolated issue with the Nexus 7 Tablet, or we may have just uncovered a bigger problem with the screens on the Nexus 7. Today we received a shipment of three (3) Nexus 7 Tablets for office and development use, and noticed shortly after setting them up that one of them exhibited a washed-out screen that was also plagued with "ghosting." For those of you unfamiliar with the term ghosting, it simply means that whatever image/widgets/apps/clock etc was on the screen previously, they are still barely visible when you move or swipe to another screen. The picture above is a prime example of ghosting. You can see the time is still barely visible after unlocking the Tablet.

In case you are wondering why we take such terribly washed out pictures, we can tell you that is not the fault of the camera. This is how the screen looked after taking it out of sleep mode and moving through the various screens. So what did we do to try and fix this issue. First in the line of business was to go to the obvious and play with the brightness settings. That was a no go. Next up was to shut the device down completely. Upon restarting the tablet we finally fixed the problem....or not. The same issue reared it's ugly head once again. Now it was time to take radical measures to get this problem fixed. When all else fails, reset. Much to our disappointment the reset did not work. We'd like to note that the problem didn't instantly appear. It happened approximately an hour later after setting up the tablet.

This all may be just an isolated incident with only a few devices affected, but we can't be sure until more units hit customers hands. We did notice however that a user on XDA seems to be suffering through the same problem. We have reached out to Google to see if this is just an isolated problem and will report back if we hear anything. For inquiring minds our units came via the Play Store. We'd love to hear if anyone else is experiencing this issue, so please sound off in the comments and let us know.

nexus7_1_wm.jpeg

nexus7_3_wm.jpeg

Source: Nexus Tablets

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Sounds like you shouldn't root em and get a warranty replacement asap

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I guess it's still a bit early for "I told you so." ;)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-7-tablet-find-them-ebay-now.html#post2175730

I'll bet you the price of a new Nexus 7 (MSRP, not those rip-off Ebay prices) that the first 10,000 owners will be soon be asking themselves, "WHAT THE HECK...I'M A BETA-TESTER?!?!?!??!"

There's leading edge, bleeding edge, and there's just plain stupid. For sure there will be hardware and software problems (come on, it even happens to Apple devices LOL). This is one device it just pays to wait a few months and first let the "plain stupid" work out the issues. Then, when it's all good, swoop in and pick one up at a reasonable $200.

-Matt

Beardface

Reaction score
ghosting is a problem with ASUS

I have a pretty bad ghosting problem with my Transformer Prime. I was massively annoyed by it at first, but eventually I don't notice it anymore. The girlfriend plays a lot of Sudoku, so I tend to see the outline of the boxes just about every time I get on it, but it goes away eventually.

bwhite757

Reaction score
I'm lucky I guess, my N7 is flawless, even after 2 days of my 3 y/o giving it some hardcore durability "testing".

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Nexus 7 screen looks awful Reds are all washed out and it has a blue tint to the screen. It looks like I will be sitting on hold with google for an hour or so tomorrow.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
My Nexus 7 screen looks awful Reds are all washed out and it has a blue tint to the screen. It looks like I will be sitting on hold with google for an hour or so tomorrow.

This is unfortunate. I have seen numerous people say have a similar issue, saying that the screen has blue/purple-ish tint. Hopefully there is a simple and quick fix for folks that are plagued by it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I have a pretty bad ghosting problem with my Transformer Prime. I was massively annoyed by it at first, but eventually I don't notice it anymore. The girlfriend plays a lot of Sudoku, so I tend to see the outline of the boxes just about every time I get on it, but it goes away eventually.

Maybe it's something to do with the IPS display? I think the Primes and N7 both have it.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Perhaps this is why I'm not among the first to go out and get the latest and greatest technology to hit the market. Lately it seems so many companies are in such a hurry to release another product that they set and enforce a less than adequate release date and then leave it to their consumers to do the beta testing. In all honesty these companies should give those consumers some compensation since we/they are doing the job the companies were too inept to do. I got my ASUS TF101 late in the game when the price was more reasonable but the first one had hardware issues and I had to return it; cut to two weeks later when I received my replacement which worked better but the version of the firmware was plagued with random reboots which ASUS claimed their crack team (or team of crackheads) couldn't duplicate thus they opened an official thread on xda-forums asking for the public's help in solving THEIR problem. What's really interesting is that with firmware release 9.2.1.24.xxx it seemed ASUS had finally fixed the issues with the TF101 but then they released 9.2.1.27.xxx in June and some of the glitches are starting to return. At least with software issues an update or patch can be easily installed and hopefully fixed; with hardware issues it's the painstaking process of getting an RMA, returning the defective product and then going through withdrawal while you await the replacement. The excitement isn't quite as rich when you receive the replacement, you almost find yourself holding your breath just waiting for something to go wrong. Is this really what we are to expect from our electronic devices in this century?

::Off Topic::
**On a side note: Has anyone else noticed this weird issue with typing posts on DF? The issue I noticed multiple times while typing this post is that when I select text to put in italics or bold and then continue typing in regular font the moment I hit the backspace key to change a word or correct a typo the cursor jumps back to where I last used the italics or bold format and begins to erase those characters rather than deleting the last character I typed. I'm not sure if it's just something with my computer or if it's a real issue with the forum. I've also noticed that DF (among other forums) isn't entirely friendly with my TF101 default browser. Perhaps in that case I should just stick with Tapatalk.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
This isnt too cool.
I am about to cop one and now this?
Subscribed.

Not everyone is having issues
If you have this issue Google will replace it anyway so no worries...it might be a pain but I'm sure the tablet will be well worth it

Btw anyone know what stores have it in stock preferably with full display models? I really want to get it but want to see exactly how it performs first hand though

Josefius

Reaction score
So far *knock on wood* mine has been awesome since yesterday. No ghosting or washout of my screen. It's bright and rich with color. Couldn't be happier with it.

I received mine (16gb) on Tuesday the 17th (Yesterday) from Google Play.

Last edited:

armeddroid

Reaction score
metalspring said:
Not everyone is having issues
If you have this issue Google will replace it anyway so no worries...it might be a pain but I'm sure the tablet will be well worth it

Btw anyone know what stores have it in stock preferably with full display models? I really want to get it but want to see exactly how it performs first hand though

I'm calling around now.
Best Buy - No
Game Stop - No
Staples - Yes but my store just sold out of 16gb yesterday. @$#!
Office Depot - No
Wal-Mart - No
Thas all so far.

Geez. Lol

Wait, Sam's Club has the 16gb. One day shipping.

*jumps in car*
(Tires squealing)

=P

Last edited:

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just received and opened mine today... this one will be going back to sender! I wouldn't say its washed out but colors are extremely muted! The blues look like the smooth blue theme in the market. Almost a pastel baby blue...

acousticshade

Reaction score
No problems with mine. Screen is sharp & looks great. I can't even play it though because my wife has been playing games on it for the last 2 hours! Sigh, time to buy another one...