Nexus 6P Bug Is Causing Devices To Shutdown Before The Battery Expires.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My wife hasn't had any issues with her Pixel other than the charging thing, and that was fixed by using a different charger. She loves it and battery life is pretty awesome. I still wouldn't mind get a Pixel XL myself.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just ran my 6P down to 20% today with no issue. I was shooting for 15, but the baby didn't want to go to sleep & now that he has, it's bedtime for the wife & I.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I haven't had any issues with my 6P purchased last Christmas (knocks on wood). I also haven't installed the December security patch that Verizon had delayed either. I was wondering if these issues started after the December security patch or not.

I also have a bad habit of taking my battery to about 5℅. I have since stopped doing that and plug it in on my way home or when I get home. I haven't had any battery issues though.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
My 6P on Marshmallow would shutdown anywhere from 25% down to 15%. I can't recall it ever getting below 15% without shutting down. I decided a couple days ago to finally upgrade to Nougat and did so. It's quite frustrating to be without my Xposed tweaks but I thought perhaps updating to the latest would help.

Last night while camping, my phone shut down at 45%.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My replacement shut down with at least 30% left when I was outside in our switcher tractor. It was cold but the heat was going, so not too cold. So far that's been the only time.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My replacement shut down with at least 30% left when I was outside in our switcher tractor. It was cold but the heat was going, so not too cold. So far that's been the only time.

I did see something, not sure if in this thread or another article, claiming that cold temperatures may be a factor. I've been leery of even taking my phone outside when I'll be out there for a bit, let alone using it out there. It's been frigid here.

That said, I'm still not running my Pixel down below about 40% most days.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It could have been a higher percentage. I didn't see what it was at, but when I plugged it in it showed 35%. Even trying to reboot it while still outside it would shut down right away. This is ridiculous. God forbid I be in an emergency in my car and it not be warm enough to get help.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. If you're that cold sitting in your car in the middle of nowhere, chances are good that you'll need help pretty quick.

Sent from my Pixel XL

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
What you're all describing is very similar to what happens to my Droid Turbo when I use a wireless charger too often. The Battery calibration gets out of whack. So even though the device appears to shutdown prematurely based on the reported battery %, its really an innaccurate number that's being reported.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What you're all describing is very similar to what happens to my Droid Turbo when I use a wireless charger too often. The Battery calibration gets out of whack. So even though the device appears to shutdown prematurely based on the reported battery %, its really an innaccurate number that's being reported.
While you make a valid point, I would bet that the majority of these Nexus and Pixel phones, none of which come with built-in wireless charging, are being charged with cables.

I can see how wireless charging could cause similar issues though. :)

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just happened again, same situation, battery was about 40% this time and wouldn't boot up until the phone warmed up again.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Great, so I accidentally installed the December security patch the other day not realizing it, till it was too late to abort. So today I stop at work to pick up some checks, BS for a few minutes and head out. Grab my phone to make a call and it is in battery saving mode then BAM shuts down. Plug it in turn it back on in about two minutes and voila 40% battery.

So where is the January security patch? I'm assuming Verizon is holding it up but I don't know.