Nexus 6P Bug Is Causing Devices To Shutdown Before The Battery Expires.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

As devices age it is expected that some problems may arise. Smartphones are not built to last years and years. They now almost always include an internal non user replaceable battery. This has shortened the life span of many phones as the phone is useless once the battery expires which normally takes about a year and a half. Some phones begin to experience lag as the memory in the phone ages. These issues are to be expected. The Nexus 6P is about a year old and is still one of the best devices around. I would happily carry the 6P as a daily driver. The 6P continues to hold its own against more powerful and newer flagship devices.

The current bug effecting Nexus 6P devices is causing phones to shut down before the battery is completely expired. Some users are reporting that their phones shutdown at 15% while others are reporting that their phone shut down at 60%. It's easy to sympathize with the frustrations these users are experiencing with their devices shutting down at random with now power left. I saw this myself on my rooted Nexus 6P my phone would shut down at 15% and I could not turn on the phone until it had been on the charger long enough to bring it well past 15%. The only fix was to return the device to stock and then re-root with the updated SuperSU file. The issue seems to be affecting users who are not rooted as well. The bug has been submitted to the AOSP Issue Tracker and this particular bug has been starred by 1200 users. This seems to be a real issue. Hopefully Google can get this bug squashed quickly.

via XDA

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This used to drive me crazy on my 6P. I had it set to go to battery saver mode at 5% and then every time it got to 15% it would instantly shut off. I recently switched the battery saver mode threshold to 15% and it no longer dies at 15%. I also stopped charging it over night while I slept and will now charge it for an hour or so before I go to bed. Luckily I haven't had any problems since

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, I had this exact same issue after a security update on my G5. Anywhere between 5 and 15%, it would die, and it would be painfully slow at 20-30%.

Updating to Nougat fixed it for that phone. Being a Nexus phone, though, I can't imagine that the 6p would be behind the G5 in security updates...

I wonder if both my G5 and some of these 6Ps just had a hiccup in an update, and they just need to factory reset. I had a LOT of weird bugs after the Nougat update, before a factory reset, and swear that even some new features appeared after the factory reset.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yikes. You guys are killing your batteries. Once I'm at 15% I throw it on the charger.

Reaction score
Ever since I bought my 6P I noticed that when I plugged it in it would charge ridiculously fast, like 75% charged in 30 minutes. So now instead of going to sleep and plugging in my phone I plug it in in the evening for a while, unplug, then when I wake up I plug it in again, and then when I'm ready to leave the house it's fully charged.

Taking no risk with the battery on this phone and knock on wood, I haven't had any of these issues yet.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Yikes. You guys are killing your batteries. Once I'm at 15% I throw it on the charger.

Not that I have this phone in particular, but, meh, battery life is too precious. My phone hardly lasts 3.5 hours screen-on time and have to swap out my batteries 2-3 times in a day. I don't have time to watch it during the day to make sure it's charged jusst right- I need to have two fully-charged batteries ready for the work day.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's not the point, many including myself were having shut downs even at 30% or sooner. It's an issue regardless. Not too happy with a phone that shuts down with plenty of battery left. My replacement hasn't done it yet fortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That's not the point, many including myself were having shut downs even at 30% or sooner. It's an issue regardless. Not too happy with a phone that shuts down with plenty of battery left. My replacement hasn't done it yet fortunately.

I wasn't replying to the topic. Just people running lipo batteries down below where they should be.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sometimes you don't have the ability to charge. So your battery should still be able to last until drained.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Sometimes you don't have the ability to charge. So your battery should still be able to last until drained.

You can run your gas tank dry, should you? Same thing really.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, but again, you don't always have the luxury of charging. Either way, this phone is turning into a pretty big disappointment.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
So you're having all these reboots? I've never had one.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was having the shut downs, but I got a replacement and it hasn't happened yet.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't noticed this yet, but I also haven't had time to use my phone near as much lately as I usually do. I'm not sure that I've even gotten down to 30% battery left since the last update.

I'm like Mustang though. If I notice that it's getting low and I don't think I'll make it to bedtime, and if I have a chance, I plug it in for a while and top it off.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do too, but mine was shutting down at 30% and higher at times.

Last edited: