Nexus 4 Gets a Big Price Cut on Google Play Store; 8GB Version Now Only $199.99

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus4-price-drop.png

Could this be a hint that the Nexus 5 is soon to arrive? Google just lowered the price of the Nexus 4 to an ultra-low $199.99 for the 8GB model and $249.99 for the 16GB model. That's a ridiculously low price for a fully unlocked stock Android smartphone! Keep in mind that the Nexus 4 is a GSM phone, so folks on Verizon and Sprint will want to take a pass on this one. For all others, that price practically begs you to buy it, even just to have as a backup phone if you drop/lose your primary.

Here's a link to the Google Play Store to grab one: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb&hl=en

Source: Nexus4Forum.com

hotice

Reaction score
Yeah, everyone wants a Nexus because they'll get the latest Android version faster than everyone else. I like the Moto X for the most part but given the choice I would take the Droid Maxx in a heartbeat for the battery and the fact that I can use the entire display for any content, not just full screen video. Here are some reasons I don't like Nexus phones now:

1. Not on Verizon/coverage - the Galaxy Nexus was terrible on Verizon so that doesn't count. The Nexus 4 doesn't count because it's not LTE.
2. No removable storage
3. No removable or huge battery
4. On-screen buttons waste room that cannot be used for viewing photos, playing games, web pages, or books.
5. Since Android 4.0 Android has gotten pretty good and it's not so critical that you get the latest version anymore for most people.

Here are specific things that I thought were just dumb about Nexus phones, while I didn't always list things mentioned above:

Nexus One: Why on earth did it have a Snapdragon 1 processor?!?! That thing was terrible! If the slow GPU wasn't enough to keep you away the 65nm die size should have been when TI was already doing 45nm processors with great PowerVR GPUs. The large die size made it extra hot and made it eat battery life extra fast.

Nexus S: No notification light and bad GPS. These were things that probably came from Samsung but then I would question why did they go with Samsung at that time when all their original Galaxy phones had GPS issues and they had already released at least one or two phones with no notification light and should have been able to figure it it was a bad idea. At least the Hummingbird had the best GPU in the Android world at the time (I think) with the PowerVR SGX 540.

Galaxy Nexus: The first Android phone with less usable display area than what it should have - I mean, on screen buttons. They gave this a great notification light but battery life was bad and it had all kinds of problems on Verizon like dropped calls and rebooting.

Nexus 4: Glass on the back