News and weather widget working...here is what i did

GeLopez

Reaction score
so i've been waiting for an answer to using the "Use my location option" but nothing yet. my news and weather widget just sits there. I want it to update automatically. well, it finally happen!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

here is what i did
no hard reset necessary

1 there are 2 options for gps that need to be checked
settings/location&security/Use wireless networks/agree
settings/privacy/Use my location/agree

i then recycled the widget and soft reset the phone

it works now. done (yes gps must be on)

Last edited:

swampgeek

Reaction score
MNot sure what type of issues you are having but GPS is not needed for the stock Google news and weather widget to work properly. It works excellent using network location only. The major need for location is obviously weather and wouldn't have any affect on news refreshing.

The settings you listed are for network location and allowing Google services to use your location (network or GPS). The second was your issue as the Widgets is a Google service if it is off your location wont be fed to it.

Big thing is you do not need GPS on for it. GPS is a big drain on the battery especially indoors when it is constantly searching for a signal.

OP
G

GeLopez

Reaction score
this is a known issue. it now works for me. im just letting those with the same issue know what i did to fix it. again, im talking about using the location to update automatically.

swampgeek

Reaction score
Ah gotcha its not really an issue as much of a privacy feature for those tin foil hats that don't want big bad Google knowing their location. The second setting in privacy just gives Google services access to your location. Network location is fine GPS does not have to be on. It is a huge battery drain. My GPS stays off and I have had no issues on multiple Roms and custom setups.

OP
G

GeLopez

Reaction score
this is about the News and weather widget not working when using "my location" lol

ShowTime

Reaction score
For the record, you can leave GPS on all the time. It is not a drain on the battery. You also do not need GPS on for the weather widget though. If you change locations and go in and manually refresh the widget, you'll notice the GPS satellite icon does not appear in your notification tray, thus it is not using the GPS. This is also how you know GPS isn't a constant battery drain. The phone is only using GPS when an app is actively needing it (resulting in the satellite icon in the notification bar). If the icon isn't there, it isn't being used. GPS isn't like wifi, it doesn't "constantly search for a signal" or anything of the sort. If someone's GPS is always on, either an app is using it or it got stuck on in the stock browser.

swampgeek

Reaction score
Thing about these phones is usage. I most likely use mine far different than yours under different conditions and environments as well. I have done extensive testing to extend battery life as I sometimes need my phone on for 16+ hours with moderate usage which in my case may mean a couple hours of web browsing as I am doing now. With GPS left on I consistently have 2 - 3 less hours of usable battery life. I would say with my application set, rom,kernel and usage that is huge battery drain.

gwol

Reaction score
This fixed the issue for me, I had not agreeed to the "Use wireless networks". Thanks for the heads up.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Thing about these phones is usage. I most likely use mine far different than yours under different conditions and environments as well. I have done extensive testing to extend battery life as I sometimes need my phone on for 16+ hours with moderate usage which in my case may mean a couple hours of web browsing as I am doing now. With GPS left on I consistently have 2 - 3 less hours of usable battery life. I would say with my application set, rom,kernel and usage that is huge battery drain.

I'm not disputing your claims. Leaving GPS on may very well result in less battery life for you. But that is because you have some app, setting or something that is using the GPS more than normal (or using GPS without you really thinking about it being used). The fact of the matter is, GPS is only being used when its icon is in the notification bar and when it isn't, it isn't using battery. That said though, it is your phone and you should feel free to keep it off if you wish. :)

OP
G

GeLopez

Reaction score
after testing this on a different droid i am sure you dont need a hard reset. i'll update the OP