News and Weather App Challenge! Mystery!

kapooz

Reaction score
Hello all,
One feature of the News and Weather app (the one native to the Android OS) has been driving me insane! It is a simple color change as seen in the attached .png file. When you tap the News and Weather app, you enter the weather section. If you tap on the forecast, you are given a graphical display. In this graph there are two colors: Yellow and Blue. The yellow corresponds to temperature and the blue to the chance of precipitation. All of this is intuitive. Then there is the change in color....Suddenly, the graph's colors change from blue and yellow to dark blue and dark yellow. I expected this was to indicate some property like the reliability of the forecast, but that can't be right because the forecast should not become reliable in the far future. Nor can it describe the hours of night or day light, as the length often exceeds/falls short of hours of night/day and the chunks of dark/light color begin/end at seemingly arbitrary times. It cannot be that they simply divide the day in half, because sometimes the split of light and dark areas don't conform to a 12/12 split (e.g. today it was split at roughly [but not exactly] at 14hrs/10hrs). The color change does not appear to change with the wind, humidity, or any other graphical properties (local max/mins, intersections, rates of change, etc...) Is this perhaps some type of visual ergonomics, where the graph seems pleasant to look at if these color changes are part of the graph? Given the variable nature of the placement/length of the color change it seems unlikely. I think there must be an algorithm that controls the color change, and that the color change carries some meteorological significance, but I can't find/think of any! Can anyone please help solve this mystery!
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
K

kapooz

Reaction score
This question has seemed to stumped hundreds of people in 3 forums. Could anyone perhaps provide some resources where I could find my answer?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
this is nothing new, it has been borked since the app broke last year during the first earlier time change. . . . in addition, the line for the exact time was not working, nor was temps etc changing as you moved the line. All was fixed with this lone exception.

OP
K

kapooz

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks guys, I got the answer from the andoid forum a while ago too. Too bad there is no fix :(