Newbie Tethering Questions

thesnowgod

Reaction score
Forgive me for a (possibly) old topic but I searched and didn't find what I was looking for.

I am getting my first Droid next month (the X). I currently have a Verizon wireless aircard for my laptop. It costs me $60 a month for it. With tethering, I've been reading that I can hook my phone up to my computer and use it as my modem or in place of my aircard. Here's my questions:

1) Is this allowed? I've read some people say yes, for a fee and others say yes but "don't get caught".
2) If it can be done. How expensive is it?
3) How fast is the connection?
4) What is the data limit? I currently use about 8-10GB a month and my plan is unlimited. If there is a limit, is it possible to increase it and if so how much?
5) Is tethering difficult to do (equipment and time involved) and can I still receive calls/texts/emails on my phone while using my laptop?

Thanks everyone. Sorry for all the questions. Just hoping you can help.
Oh, and feel free to use "stupid dummy terms", I'm still figuring this stuff out in case you couldn't tell. :D

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Is this allowed? I've read some people say yes, for a fee and others say yes but "don't get caught".
2) If it can be done. How expensive is it?
3) How fast is the connection?
4) What is the data limit? I currently use about 8-10GB a month and my plan is unlimited. If there is a limit, is it possible to increase it and if so how much?
5) Is tethering difficult to do (equipment and time involved) and can I still receive calls/texts/emails on my phone while using my laptop?

Yes, you should have been able to find these answers:

1) No, it's explicitly forbidden in the Terms of Service. Are you likely to get caught it you do it, no.

2) $30/month for legitimate tethering, $10-15 one time for wired, and free if you're rooted.

3) Same speed as your local tower. Sometimes slower than balls, sometimes comparable to DSL or cheap Cable

4) $30/month gets you 5GB. You have unlimited data to your phone, but the ToS requires that that data stay on your phone and not be used for tethering.

5) No extra equipment needed. You can tether, or use the phone, but you cant do both at the same time.

The long and short of it is, you're getting a service for free that you're not supposed to. If Verizon cared (and right now they dont seem to) they could terminate your service and hit you with fees. After that, its all up to you.

OP
T

thesnowgod

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the fast reply. So if I use my phone instead of my laptop for those unusually high data streams (music or YouTube for example), I should be OK? Those seem to be the real usage hogs for me on my laptop. I don't watch movies or anything but I do tend to watch lots of clips or old TV shows on YouTube and Hulu and I'm sure that's where my usage comes in.

Thanks again! I swear I'm usually not to eager with the "new topic" button but just couldn't find concrete info. Even a friend who has a Driod led me a little astray. To hear them talk, you simply plug the phone into the computer, ditch the aircard and life is rosey (and I save the $60 a month the card cost me).

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Data use on the phone is unlimited. Unlimited being exactly that. As long as the data stays on the phone, then you are in complete compliance with the contract you signed with Verizon.

I wont start the tethering debate again since it's been beaten to death. It's your call, you just have to be aware of what the written policy is.

OP
T

thesnowgod

Reaction score
Thanks Sir. ;) I'd rather stay in compliance. Just was looking for the right info.

carpenter_22

Reaction score
i tether every day and am not worried about getting caught. i have been doing it as long as it has been possible but every one needs to make there own choice.