Configure Droid to use Air Card Credentials

hostets

Reaction score
I currently have a Verizon Air Card but it's a hassle because you have to have a router or laptop to use it. I like the idea of having everything on the phone and accessable via one device.

My question is, is it possible to purchase a Motorola Droid without buying a voice or data plan and configure it with the credentials from my aircard so I would be using my aircard data plan on my phone? I am not concerned about the voice plan, only data. The reason for this is I use a VoIP service to make phone calls.

Thanks for your feedback.

cpinto

Reaction score
I currently have a Verizon Air Card but it's a hassle because you have to have a router or laptop to use it. I like the idea of having everything on the phone and accessable via one device.

My question is, is it possible to purchase a Motorola Droid without buying a voice or data plan and configure it with the credentials from my aircard so I would be using my aircard data plan on my phone? I am not concerned about the voice plan, only data. The reason for this is I use a VoIP service to make phone calls.

Thanks for your feedback.

My guess is, "No". Cool idea, but I don't think it will work. Your data plan is tied to your aircard address, I would assume.

If you want everything on the Droid, I would just get an unlimited data plan for it, and install PDA Net so you can tether it to your computer.

Then drop the aircard when you can, as it has no purpose anymore.

Really, I have found that I can do most everything from the Droid so it's rare that I have to even tether anymore.