Newbie Guide to Rooting the Fascinate

millwood

Reaction score
Hello _ I am newbie, and am trying to read all I can about Rooting... However, I have not been able to get my PC to recognize my SD card in my Fascinate running the EA28 update. Therefore I can't even consider the rooting process because I can't put anything on the SD card... Help (pulling my hair out!)

1. Have you installed the drivers?
2. Have you set the phone to USB Mass storage?
3. If you have done both what kind of response are you getting when you plug your phone in?
4. If it is recognizing it as a CD drive then try this
A. Unplug phone
B. Set it to USB Mass Storage
C. Turn off phone
D. Plug cable into phone and computer
E. Turn on phone and it should install drivers and recognize it.

5. Make sure you are using the original cable that came with the phone.

Let us know.

Janowm58

Reaction score
Thank you for your help... Unfortunately, after trying your suggestions, there has been no change?!?! Did have phone in mass storage, had drivers, but tried unplugging phone and had drivers reinstall, the SD card still loads as CD drive.....
The response; verizon driver pop up asks about installing 'communication' assistance, selected yes; Vcast opens automatically now everytime I connect phone, Aaarrgh! Any other ideas?

millwood

Reaction score
You got me on this one. Maybe try another computer at this pint. I have not seen that happen before.

Janowm58

Reaction score
Tried other PC... no luck. Called Samsung, had me format (and erase SD card), pulled card and reinserted. Plug phone back into PC, mounted, and even tho PC still showed as CD drive, was able to access. So the end of the story is, I had access ONCE! I tried again to access after we ended the call and I'm back to square one with my PC seeing an inaccessable CD drive?!?!?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

millwood

Reaction score
Since it worked once why not power the phone off and then plug it in to the PC. Then power the phone up while it is plugged in. From there it should be recognized as it boots up.

Janowm58

Reaction score
Nope, called Samsung again... new guy had me try putting SD card directly into PC... it reads that way?!?! I am baffled.

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
Make sure USB debugging is enabled....try rebooting your phone while plugged into your PC...uninstall and reinstall the drivers(verify you have the correct ones).....theres no reason it shouldnt wrk unless you have a faulty USB output on the phone(I had to swap my first Fascinate because of that)

litlepig11

Reaction score
how to i tell if it worked?

Okay phone is rooted...how do i remove the bs from it now...what else can i do...any ideas on whats next???

HotScottyD

Reaction score
Terminal Emulator

What was the purpose of downloading this to the phone? You instructed to download it but never gave any reference to how it's suppose to be used if at all. Please advise.

Sputn1k

Reaction score
I followed this thread and had no trouble (or so I thought) until I got to running TB. I get the dredded "could not aquire root access." I try the problems button to install a newer version of BusyBox, however I am notified that it did not install and to check the website for help. Can I simply re-trace my steps from the beginning of this process or do I have to restore to factory default before I try and root the phone again?

millwood

Reaction score
I believe you can just go back through the steps. If you are just tryng to root you can use Super One Click Root and it is super easy. That was how I rooted about a month ago with no problems. If you are just trying to install a ROM like SuperClean then try the SuperClean thread. There are ODIN files that will take you from stock to rooted with the ROM already installed very fast and East.

Sputn1k

Reaction score
Thanks, I will retrace my steps and see what happens.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Sputn1k

Reaction score
When i enter in this string

adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
adb shell
mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
cd /system/xbin
cat /sdcard/su > ./su
cat /sdcard/busybox > ./busybox
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox
exit

iinstead of seeing exit I see

# # # # # # #

It's been like that for about five minutes, should I keep waiting or...???

bchbbum3

Reaction score
List of devices attached

I can't figure out how to get my phone to show up here. I did everything the guide said, and still nothing? Any help?

poppatm

Reaction score
Rooting my phone went smoothly.

The only problem I encountered was when I tried to download the Samsung driver for my PC. Be careful what you select to download from the Softpedia web site. My first attempt I ended up downloading a driver update program they wanted to charge me $30 to keep my device drivers up to date. Thanks but no thanks. I had a similar problem when I went to mediafire for the root files. After I was able to communicate with my phone and get the root files on my PC it took me less than 10 minutes to actually complete the rooting process. To prevent typos utilize copy and paste line by line.

Excellent guide Matt.