Newbie and I drug the wife along

NCCicero

Reaction score
Have been through Ipaqs, Axim51v, Several Moto Q's. I know that the Windows Mobile scene isn't great but I didn't see that the Blackberry or others were what I was looking for. THEN the Droid came out. I waited ( was held back by the wife ) and recently took the plunge. Since it was buy one get one I got her one as well. Maybe I will do all the experimenting on hers and then if it doesn't break or stop functioning, I will know what to do on mine.

Have been spending hours reading. Appears that the phone is capable of so much even without rooting it. Have always had a fear of doing such and ending up with a Brick.

Glad to be here.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have been through Ipaqs, Axim51v, Several Moto Q's. I know that the Windows Mobile scene isn't great but I didn't see that the Blackberry or others were what I was looking for. THEN the Droid came out. I waited ( was held back by the wife ) and recently took the plunge. Since it was buy one get one I got her one as well. Maybe I will do all the experimenting on hers and then if it doesn't break or stop functioning, I will know what to do on mine.

Have been spending hours reading. Appears that the phone is capable of so much even without rooting it. Have always had a fear of doing such and ending up with a Brick.

Glad to be here.

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. I rooted my phone once and didn't brick it, if I can do it anyone can. Still I advise doing some reading on rooting in the hacking area before you do that.

I'm quite happy with the stock phone, it does everything I want it to and more. But some people like to push the boundaries and get into this marvelous piece of technology. I say why not? But don't feel pressured to do so, just enjoy the Forum and your Droid. And your wife's Droid as well, welcome to her too.

jarby

Reaction score
LOL! I read that wrong.

Thought it said Newbie and I drugged the Wife.....had to do a double take! :icon_eek:

:)

cabagekiller

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. I have express one thing that will solve you many questions down the road. IF you decide to root your droid, just do the long way and learn how you rooted it, it just a little thing I seemed to pick up from all the threads with not knowing how to do somethinf. It taught me how exactly to root it and makes you have a general knowledge of some of the basics for fully exploit your droid...such as ADB. just my opinion. also...WELCOME to the droid forums. If you ever have a question about anything droid related it will help you out....one more thing.If you decide to root and and you get just to the motorola screen, it is just fine not bricked.

OP
NCCicero

NCCicero

Reaction score
LOL. Not this time, but in the past the way I buy gadgets she should have been drugged. Instead I always end up making compromises.... have to endure a trip to Disney or the such. Kills me, trust me. ;-)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! The Droid is a fantastic device. Like Hook said, it performs well out-of-the box. Others will tell you it performs better after rooting. It comes down to personal preference. If you decide to root, read, read, and read some more. Watch the videos on how to root which will show you the differences/advantages of being rooted.

If you feel rooting is for you, print out the process and make notes. If you have questions or problems someone will be here to support you.

Finally, a number of folks have encountered problems and cried "Brick" Thankfully, as of this writing everyone has recovered and we have not had any bricks.

Mike

BTW I tried to drug my wife but she got me first:)