Droid Newbie tomorrow!

ljprevo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well after a thought out process I am dumping the Windows Mobile 6.1 Q9c and going with the Droid. My upgrade with Verizon came due today and took advantage of the buy one get one free. Got my wife a Droid as well. Not hip about her having to have a $30 internet package, but I dropped the text messages from 500 to 250. The phone should be here tomorrow :icon_ banana:

Hope I made a good choice going from Windows mobile to Droid. I like what I have been reading here. Only thing I really need to be able to do is tether the phone without Verizon banging me with any extra tethering fees, which is stupid, seeing I only need PC tethering for emergencies.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

cuskit

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well after a thought out process I am dumping the Windows Mobile 6.1 Q9c and going with the Droid. My upgrade with Verizon came due today and took advantage of the buy one get one free. Got my wife a Droid as well. Not hip about her having to have a $30 internet package, but I dropped the text messages from 500 to 250. The phone should be here tomorrow :icon_ banana:

Hope I made a good choice going from Windows mobile to Droid. I like what I have been reading here. Only thing I really need to be able to do is tether the phone without Verizon banging me with any extra tethering fees, which is stupid, seeing I only need PC tethering for emergencies.

Any suggestions are very welcome.
Welcome to our Droidian World! :)

I'll bet you'll be looking back in another week and wondering why you had any concerns at all! Droid Rocks! :)

Thether? Why? You have wifi... ;)

Best suggestion I can offer is to jump right in and start trying everything. Get on the market and download a half dozen apps at a time - work them to see what best suits your needs, then move on the the next batch.

Most important - search here for every question you have - it's been answered a hundred times before and you'll love the resources available. Meanwhile - enjoy and share the learning experience with us. :) mikey

OP
ljprevo

ljprevo

Reaction score
Reason that I have to tether is I am an on call programmer and I have to use a citrix client and citrix does not have a client for the droid. They barely have on for the smartphone. However if I can remote desktop into my Win 2008 server that would be awesome. I could remote into my server and use the citrix app there.

Also, does the gps work on this phone for Verizon? I got my q9c wanting to use google maps and GPS and the GPS was locked. Tad ticked off about that. I don't drive a whole lot, but when I do and need mapping, I want it on my phone, not pay Verizon another $15 for navigator. That is a joke. The only draw back is the apps I bought for my Win Moblie phone, but that is not a big deal.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Good idea dropping down to the 250 text. Do you have Google Voice? If not, try to get an invite because you can SMS for free using GV.

cuskit

Reaction score
Also, does the gps work on this phone for Verizon?

Yes - it does. For many (myself included) it seems to work fine. Others have some issues, but overall it can easily replace a dedicated GPS unit. I love mine - it has only faltered a couple of times - placing me miles from my true spot. But that's sporadic, and actually seems to be a thing of the past - haven't seen any problems in weeks. :) mike

OP
ljprevo

ljprevo

Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Good idea dropping down to the 250 text. Do you have Google Voice? If not, try to get an invite because you can SMS for free using GV.

Yeah I have Google Voice, that is Google Talk right? I have that.

I just kept the 250 plan for others who send me regular text messages. Between the wife and I we had to add $30 for her line (I already had it on my other phone). We had the 500 plan because we text a lot to each other, but now that we will both use the droid, we can use google. :D

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah I have Google Voice, that is Google Talk right? I have that.

I just kept the 250 plan for others who send me regular text messages. Between the wife and I we had to add $30 for her line (I already had it on my other phone). We had the 500 plan because we text a lot to each other, but now that we will both use the droid, we can use google. :D

No, Google Talk is IM, Google Voice is way different.

Google Voice

OP
ljprevo

ljprevo

Reaction score
My new Droid is here!!!

Any other suggestions :)

solar

Reaction score
The GPS should work just fine. You should not need to pay extra on the droid. VZ navigator is extra but is not even available on the droid. But with google maps, there is no reason to want to use it as its a lot more funtional.

I still use a windows Mobile PDA becaue I use Phatnotes for all of my client and tech notes, but other then that, the droid has taken over every other role and excelled at it. You won't be sorry!